Status
Not open for further replies.
And here I thought a "wench" was an ancient term for a busty beer maid or food server in old English pubs. I hope you have a sense of humor. There is obviously a typo. I think it should be winch driven hoist. Just as an aside, my lift uses what they call a jack screw which looks like a big 6 foot high bolt or screw. Thanks for posting pictures. Stuff like this will make us the best resource site for ALS patients around. AL.

Last edited:
... and I'm not going to touch jack-screw either... but that's how some flaps are driven... safer
T.

winch-driver hoist ( lift )

Thank you immensely for the pictures - I hadn't actually thought about doing something like that, since I am still looking for something that will go up the stars as they are.

The problem I am seeing with adapting that design to my town house is that there isn't really any open area at the top, and very little at the bottom, that could be used for landing areas. At the top of the stairs you are in a short hall with a bedroom suite at either end and the laundry area and two closets opposite. At the bottom the stairs simply spill onto the dining room / living room floor area with nothing on any side to act as support. True, you MIGHT be able to HANG the whole thing from the ceiling of the 3rd floor, but you would need to remove part of the 2nd floor to have a place for it to go up & down. And with no guide rods it would be a rather thrilling ride, I think.

However, I must say it bears looking into some more. I will contemplate this for a while.

Ta muchly, as they say down under.

BTW - I am located in Central Pennsylvania in the USA, for those who wonder.

Al said:
...I think it should be winch driven hoist...
Gees Al, I hope you're wrong. When I saw that, I planned to order one immediately. They could entirely replace conventional elevators.

Well yes a "wench driven hoist" does have a nice ring to it. I wouldn't mind a couple of those around here too. We'll probably be in trouble with the feminists now John. AL.

Al and the rest of you guys,

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny. You are all lucky I am such a good sport and have a highly developed since of humor:)

Jeanne

Al said:
Well yes a "wench driven hoist" does have a nice ring to it. I wouldn't mind a couple of those around here too. We'll probably be in trouble with the feminists now John. AL.

Sorry to disappoint, but even though I am an avowed feminist, I laughed out loud when I saw "wench driven hoist".

In all seriousness, the photos & info are great. We live in a multi-level house, built into the side of a hill. I am always wondering if we will have to someday move, or if we will be able to adapt when/if necessary.

I love the practical, real advice that is provided on this forum.

Cheers,
COlisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back