Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Oakville
My beautiful, courageous mum was diagnosed March 8, 2007 with sporadic limb onset ALS and passed away March 3, 2008 at the age of 59. Although short in time.. she battled a faster than usual form of ALS with zero plateaus.
We are shattered at the moment. She was the light of our lives and her strength amazed us. She was a very special, beautiful woman who took such pride in her family. Loved by everyone.

She choose not to have any intervention and was a DNR. She had a tough few weeks as she went through the end stage of this disease. It will take me a year to process the past year and another year to come to terms with the past few weeks. On a positive note, she donated her brain and spinal fluid to the ALS clinic at Sunnybrook.

Paula

Hi Paula Jane! My condolences to you and your family. May your mum rest in peace. Thanks for letting us know!

Irma

Hi Paula-Jane. Our whole family offer our condolences to you and your family. Since the first time we met you and your mom at the clinic you've been a special member to me. I'm sorry for your loss but hope that your mom's donation will help researchers at the U of T and Sunnybrook get one step closer to a cure.
AL

Last edited:
with sympathy

Paula Jane

my heart goes out to you today. I can only imagine how sad you must feel and what a whirlwind of a year, this past year has been for you and your family.

May you find strength in your memories of your Mom.

Barbie

Dear Paula -Jane

Dear Paula -Jane:

My deep condolences for you and your family, your mom is free off her sick body and finally resting in peace.

The donation of her brain and spinal fluid will help a lot for research; let's pray
a cure is soon find to fight this terrible sickness.

May God bless you.

PATY
CALS TO LATE HUSBAND JORGE
DX OCT. 17, 2005
DIED DEC. 30, 2008
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Hi Paula Jane. I am so sorry for your loss. THere are no words at a time like this. Just a sinking feeling in the heart. Peace, Cindy

Hi Paula Jane,

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your mother. What an admirable thing she did by giving her brain and spinal fluid so that maybe someday others will live. But, remember she isn't gone forever, she just went to her new life in heaven and left her sickness behind. She is whole again!

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. May you always have sweet memories to hold on to.

Donna J

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. My DH/PAL was diagnosed in Oct. 2005 and died on Dec. 29, 2007. Your dear Mom went even faster.....such an awful disease.....but they are now at peace and suffer no more...for that we can be grateful. Marlene

Thank you to everyone for your words of kindness. We are coping and moving forward as our mum wanted us to do. Although, I'm 41... our youngest brother is only 23 and has had a really hard time with everything. I've been trying to clear out her home that she has been in for the past 37 years... it's been heartwarming and heartbreaking. We were grateful to be able to donate her adjustable bed that was fundraised for her and was only 8 months old to another ALS patient at Sunnybrook. Much of her stuff will be auctioned off to my girlfriend's orphange in Africa as my mum would have wanted. I'm forever changed by my experience with ALS and one day when I am stronger, I see myself giving back to the ALS community in some way. I know that I should be grieving more.. but, I grieved her entire illness.. so now I celebrate her and honour her life.
Cheers!

Hi Paula-Jane. I always thought that grief was one of those emotions that we shouldn't try to evaluate. Who can say what is "enough?" There probably is not a "right" way to do this: you just need to go with what feel OK, I quess. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back