Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
In previous posts, I have described some harrowing incidents due to problems with the right brake on my Permobil C500 wheelchair. We have been chasing this problem on and off since about June.

In September, we did a field repair (with the folks from NuMotion on the phone) while on our fall trip to Yellowstone. That repair was successful enough to get me through until now. However, the issue was not completely resolved, and I still considered it to be a safety issue.

Last week, I finally was able to spend about 4 hours with the good folks at NuMotion in Aurora, Colorado. In preparation for this visit, they had spent considerable time on the phone the the manufacturer (Permobil) trying to figure out what the issue could be.

It turns out to be a design issue. Most wheelchairs use different drive motors on the left and right sides. On the C500, the drive motor is the same model for both the left and right sides...one of them is simply mounted upside down.

The result is that the brake release lever (to put the wheelchair in freewheel mode) is oriented differently (and satisfactorily) on the left side. However, on the right side, there is substantial potential for that lever to hit the spring on the shock absorber, preventing the lever from re-engaging the brake when the chair is taken out of freewheel mode (or when you go over a sufficiently large bump).

The fix is rather simple. All they had to do was remove the right wheel, loosen the bolts holding the right motor in place, move the motor slightly in its mounting slots, and then tighten everything back up. This seems like a permanent fix.

They did this work on my primary chair. When I got home, I checked my backup chair (which is also a C500) and found that the right motor was mounted so the brake lever did not interfere with the shock absorber spring.

So, if you have a C500 or know anyone that does, have them check this out. It is a critical safety issue if it it is not addressed.

This sure took a long time to get resolved and resulted in some "excitement" while wheeling in some adventurous places. The wheelchair was out of comission for over 4 weeks during this time while various fixes were attempted. This failure was a major contributor to my decision to purchase a backup wheelchair. I am sure glad that it is resolved.

Steve

I'm so glad they figured it out and that your chair is now safe to use, Steve! Enjoy your trails!

Becky

I will enjoy the trails with it!

Steve

So shouldn't this company be recalling all wheelchairs and offering to fix them for free as they are putting people at risk?

I'm so glad you kept worrying at the issue until you solved it! Many safe and happy adventures ahead now :)

I believe that at a minimum they should put out a service advisory.

It is clearly a design defect, in that the right motor CAN be easily installed or adjusted in a way that renders the right brake useless if the freewheel mode has ever been engaged or if a sufficiently large bump has been encountered.

Since the issue can be satisfactorily resolved with a simple adjustment, a service advisory is perhaps sufficient.

However, if I was an executive at Permobil, I would be very concerned about the potential liability this presents. It is now confirmed they know about it. I don't see how they don't voluntarily issue a recall.

It is still a great chair and I feel blessed to be able to have one as my primary and another as a backup. I am sure glad I know what to look for.

Steve

I feel the same - it's a great chair and they have a duty of care surely to rectify a defect and could turn this into a great promotion on how much the company cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back