05/2020
Country
US
State
MT
City
Helena
Hi friends,
My husband was diagnosed with Bulbar onset ALS this June, along with FTD. Over the summer he deteriorated so quickly - from hiking and doing major home projects to shuffling, then a walker, then a wheelchair. Now he is in his final days, bed bound with only a few minutes a day upright in a wheelchair. He hasn't been able to speak since May, but he can still do thumbs up and thumbs down.

He's been through every imaginable state on this journey - rage, anxiety, craziness, withdrawal, mute adjustment - the whole whitewater stretch of River.

And now we are in a peaceful place, surrounded with family and friends, music and love. He sleeps most of the day, and we are watching his body slowly play itself out.

I am sorry for his anguish, proud of his spirit, baffled by his FTD, and unspeakably grateful for the life I have had with him.

For those of you in the midst of the struggle with this brutal disease, I hope you too will find this place of peace when the time comes. It is so precious.

And thank you all for your support and suggestions throughout this Cannonball Run.

- Krys

So sorry, Krys.

Very sorry, Krys. Let us know if there is anything we can help with, or feel free to vent any time.

Best,
Laurie

Very sorry Krys - so much the same for us, such torment during, but the last 3 - 4 days were peaceful and my Chris had a gentle passing that was a true blessing 💜 I hope this for you both.

I'm so very sorry, Krys. My heart is with you through this difficult time.

Dear Krys, thinking of you and your family. We are here for you.

V

I am so sorry, Krys. I know the time of peace you are describing and pray that it remains until the end for both of you. You are in my prayers.
Dave

i Am so sorry for what your husband and you are going through. I lost my husband to ALS in 2016. He was diagnosed in May, died in October. I was blessed that he still had his voice up until just before the bitter end. Like your hubby, Ed was a hands on guy. One of the last projects before he was obviously symptomatic was a remodel of our family room in January that year. He was always an amazing painter and could ‘cut’ between the wall and ceiling freehand like a razor. I noticed that it was a bit sloppy for him. I will NEVER repaint that room. It was him, his illness, his future that was played out.
bless you.

Krys, I am thinking about you and wishing you strength and peace.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back