Diagnosis
10/2020
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Nice to meet you all, my brother was diagnosed two weeks ago, and we' are consulting with our therapist from time to time but it's a weekend, and I got a question concerning sleep. So, I got a friend who advised me to purchase one of the mattresses for people diagnosed with fibromyalgia. There some lists on the web so that won't be a problem. However, for those with ALS is this a reasonable purchase? I mean, fibromyalgia is about chronic pain and ALS is a little bit different

I don't know what a fibromyalgia mattress is but I can tell you that there is pain as ALS progresses, especially once we can't adjust ourselves in bed. If you use the search function you will find many threads about mattress choices. I use a latex topper over my hospital bed mattress and it's enough cushion for me.

I developed pain early on. My doctors disagree about the cause. Mayo thought it was fibromyalgia and Johns Hopkins said I'm one of the few that get nerve root inflammation causing horrible pain.

Jessie's advise is good. I haven't gone into a hospital bed yet because I had an adjustable queen size bed. I had already bought a rubber mattress and, after my diagnosis, got a latex topper to go over the mattress. A good lift chair will also help with pain.

Some PALS don't experience pain until they can no longer move. I would definitely recommend a good quality mattress no matter what the situation. Amazon has excellent latex toppers for not a lot of money. I found one without any outgassing of chemicals.

I should add that unless your brother is currently experiencing pain or having difficulty with his current bed, this isn't something he'll need immediately.

Yes buy that mattress. While the pain with ALS differs pain is pain and any comfort one can get is useful. I have ALS and arthristis and I have pain. I have a memory foam mattress and I absolutely love it. Once asleep I sleep the night through. It took me some time to fall asleep but I bought a lulabye cd- soft guitar. I put it on and am asleep by the third song. I've never fallen asleep as quickly as I do now. Much better than medication, as I have tried many over the years. Sleep is so very important and whatever one can do to improve it is always helpful. So I fall into my matress and float away with a lulabye. Sleep tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back