Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Detroit
You can read my other posts if you want to know all the details about my history.

However, I suffer from health anxiety and have been having a hard time with it lately. A few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a burning pain down each arm (more so on the right). The burning pain came and went for a few days and during this time my pinky finger and ring finger on my right hand felt numby, stiff, and weird.

Well ever since then (and since reading about ALS coincidentally), I've had twitches in my legs (calfs in particular) and all over my body too, my whole body aches and is sore, my voice sounds hoarse to me (not to anyone else), and I have had a constant tremor (although this cropped up when I started taking an anxiety drug - Celexa and tremor is a side effect).

Anyway, does this sound like ALS to any of you? My arms are sore, my legs are sore, my back, chest, stomach and neck muscles are sore. I'm basically sore from head to toe and I am scared. I have no weakness or atrophy going on that I know of. I just feel sore.

I've been to the ER a few times in a panic and they all tell me its Fibromyalgia related pain (Myofascial pain to be exact) and possibly a pinched nerve from the messed up way I sleep.

I just can't get ALS out of my mind. It's all I think about and it's eating me alive.

Please tell me your opinions! I am a 28 year old female by the way. And I do have a neuro appointment scheduled for the 13th of May just because my doctor wanted to appease me (he doesn't think I am having true neuro problems).

Chelle

It certainly does NOT sound like ALS. It sounds like you have yourself in a panic, and that is a vicious cycle. The more you worry the more symptoms that develop and it just keeps going around and around. I have done it so I know that it is a terrible place to be. Please believe me---your symptoms do not sound like ALS. Listen to your Dr--he does not believe that it is ALS. Also, the more you look up diseases and symtoms the more you will develop them. Try staying off the internet for a while if you can. This will pass!

Thanks suebo!
I see you are in Michigan too.
Hello! :)

I wish I could believe you 100%.
Believe me...it's not that I want anything to be seriously wrong.

I just have no idea why I woke up yesterday and my body hurt from head to toe. Sore and achey muscles and joints all over. I just don't have a clue if ALS causes this or not.

Hello again Moe80

Once again: your symptoms aren't even close to being ALS. Please believe me and everyone else on this forum.

Thanks Wright.

Can you explain the sorts of muscle aches and joint pain that are associated with ALS?

I wouldn't just wake up one day with sore aches and pains all over my body, right?

My sore chest and back muscles are making me feel like I am having a hard time breathing. It sucks.

Chelle

Chelle,
When my twitching first started I had alot of joint and muscle aches, too. My hands were the worst--very sore. Mine went away after a month or so. My Doctor told me it was benign fasculations. Cramps can be common with that. You don't have ALS!

Thanks Wright.

Can you explain the sorts of muscle aches and joint pain that are associated with ALS?

I wouldn't just wake up one day with sore aches and pains all over my body, right?

My sore chest and back muscles are making me feel like I am having a hard time breathing. It sucks.

Chelle

None. If you are suffering from upper motor neuron degradation you can experience cramps (that is pain) and muscle stiffness (is that pain?). So, if you are somewhat far along in ALS you might call the muscle fatigue pain. Maybe. Surely the cramps. But a big zero is called for with respect to joint pain. The disease does not affect joints.

You need to sniff around at a few other diseases and then decide which you want to diagnose yourself with.

Take care...

The joint pain felt with ALS has to do with the lack of mobility, which would occur in the later stages of the disease. The joint pain you have, has absolutely NOTHING to do with ALS. You're not going to just wake-up one day with sore joints . . . and the cause be ALS; it simply doesn't go with the etiology.

For the fourth time now: you don't have symptoms of ALS!

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know.

As for my problems trying to catch a good breath, i've had them on and off for years but they have been worse over the last few months. This couldn't be caused by weakening of the chest muscles from als? Would my oxygen levels me off? The last four times i've been to the doctor/er these past few weeks, my oxygen level has been 99-100%.

I just feel so horrible. It's hard to believe stress and anxiety could be causing all this. I feel like i'm 90 years old with all these aches and pains.

A good thing is the twitches have seemed to lessen up and there is still no weakness. However, the fact that my left legs feels weird and detached from my body is kinda bothering me. It's a weird feeling that is hard to describe.

-Chelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back