Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Fairfax
My PALS had a fever last night that made him pretty uncomfortable. It responded to ibuprofen and this morning he's feeling much better. This has happened a couple of times before but last night was more unsettling - he was frightened and felt he was dying (his description). I know fevers can make you feel terrible and can also happen with no known cause at times but I was wondering if this is something others with ALS experience or if I should be responding differently in the future if it happens again. If it were pneumonia or another infection, it wouldn't go away without antibiotics, correct? Thanks for any input.

When you say happened before how long ago and how often?

Fevers/ temps tend to be higher later in the day.

It might be just a passing thing but could you get a urinalysis and perhaps a blood count? Do you have hospice? Or call the doctor and see if they will order it and have the vna come for a home draw?

Thanks, Nikki. It was months ago that it happened but didn't seem to upset him as it did this time. We don't have hospice but I was wishing we did last night. I realized after posting how foolish this question may sound and that it could be a number of things - not related to als. One big concern I have is aspiration and resulting pneumonia as he doesn't have a feeding tube and while we are trying to be careful as he eats, I know it's a potential problem.
I can call our primary care physician and take him in for labs.

So wrapped up with ALS, I sometimes forget that I can get other illnesses like everyone else (non PALS).

You can get home health services without being on hospice, if you get a doctor's order, as Nikki notes. And/or maybe scout for a geriatric PA/NP in your area who has a house call practice, to have in your pocket if not now. A quick search in Fairfax reveals there should be some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back