Fender Bender ALS or just an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello Second Family,

Dad is in the car all day long driving around all the time.. I fear accidents although I should not cause dad is a great driver and all of this reflexes are in tact... Today dad was coming out of the street when another truck was turning in like a bat out of hell. Dad was already in his turn when this truck turned in. From the sound of it dad did his best to turn away from it and instead of hitting him head on he ended up hitting his rear side and denting a bit just schraching his front bumper and light. So from the sound of things he being dad excelarated so that he would be at the end of the truck instead of the front of the truck. This in turn would mean he was able to ract fast.... What do you all think.

Jen

Hi Jen. Sounds like a pure and simple accident. Could have happened 5 years ago but happened today. From the sounds of you're dad he is still doing ok. I think possibly you might be over reacting because of his condition. If he is seeing his doctors regularly they should notice loss of reflexes or strength and tell him not to drive. In Ontario doctors are required by law to report to the Motor Vehicle Dept. anyone they suspect that may not be able to drive safely.

Jen - sorry to hear about your dad's accident but thank goodness he came out okay. I think Al's answer sounds like a wise one, I know it can be easy to freak about everything but it even sounds like he was able to avoid an even worse accident in the reactions he did have.

Hi Jen,

Sounds like that could have happened to anybody - glad your dad is OK.

Has your dad advised his auto insurance company that he has ALS?

This may not be the most opportune time to approach them; however, if his ALS has progressed to the stage where it may affect his ability to drive - he should advise his insurer and take a driving test. The test should establish that he is fine for driving notwithstanding his ALS.

Otherwise, if he is involved in an accident and the insurer learns he has ALS (even if his having ALS had nothing to do with the accident) - the insurers could deny him coverage for failing to previously disclose this to them.

As you know - auto insurance companies are bastards and will look for any reason to deny coverage.

Richard

I remember when Tim was driving afer he was diagnosed and so many people were freaked out because they figured he would be in an accident. It didnt happen because his reflexes and driving ability didnt end just because he had ALS. When the time came for Tim to stop driving which ws really hard on him it was the Drs decision and he informed the insurance companies and his licence was revoked. Accidents happen all the time and I'm just glad that your dad is alright and when the time comes it will be looked after.
Kim
ALS About Loving Someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back