Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Northbridge
Hi everyone, I have a question on wheelchair side effects. I had a fall 3 weeks ago using my walker and now I am in my wheelchair all day. My legs have just lost too much strength. The problem is now my feet and calves swell terribly, to a point where it is difficult for my wife to put on my shoes. I elevate my feet in the wheelchair but that is uncomfortable for me. Anyone else have this problem and know any solutions? Thanks in advance.

Hi Don,
I've had that problem. I use support socks to keep the swelling down. They're not easy to put, but you want to give them a try.
Patrick

Are you using a power wheelchair? If so, play around with the tilt and recline positions so you have your feet up but are more comfortable. If not, you need a power wheelchair. Also you should elevate your feet at night. A hospital bed would help with that.

Are you using a power wheelchair? If so, play around with the tilt and recline positions so you have your feet up but are more comfortable. If not, you need a power wheelchair. Also you should elevate your feet at night. A hospital bed would help with that.
[/
Thank you, I do have a power chair and I try to get a comfortable lift for my feet but just cannot find the right position. I sleep in a hospital bed too and will raise my knees and legs more.

Hi Don,

My husband used to get terrible swelling in his feet and legs and now uses Naipo leg compression boots to ease swelling. They use sequential compression and massage bit by bit through your feet and up to his knees and back down again. It's reduced swelling to almost none and my husband loves it. He also keeps his legs elevated to heart level throughout the day.

I cannot remember if we can paste links here, but I'll paste the link to where to get NAIPO from, and then the mods can send to you directly if it's not supposed to be here.

Try increasing tilt in the power chair, and sometimes a hint of recline, before raising the legs, so you don't hyperextend your hips.

I have had swelling in my feet for year now and it seems to do no harm. I spend all day in my wheelchair

same problems here with continuing redness specially in left foot. pooling of blood, says internist. compression stockings and feet elevation prescribed. have found that folding a blanket a couple of times, or more, helps me elevate with comfort in bed.

Hi Don,
I've had that problem. I use support socks to keep the swelling down. They're not easy to put, but you want to give them a try.
Patrick
Compression socks help a bunch. My husband puts them on me daily. Muscle and movement help with circulation.

I’ve had peripheral neuropathy for years now, long before I got my diagnosis of ALS. My own doctor could only suggest nortryptolenen which helped for a short time but real relief came once I got Lyrica. My feet are purple and throbbing but not painful.

There are chairs on amazon that provide leg elevation. I bought one for a little over $100.

With regards to leg swelling. I was strongly advised by my doctor not to let it occur. He said that there's little one way valves in the lower legs that get damaged by swelling and if that happens you will always have problems with blood pooling in the legs and it makes you more susceptible to DVTS and clots. I didn't take his advice and I can't lower my legs more than a couple of minutes before they turn very red and shortly after they begin to swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back