Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MT
City
Billings
hello all! I’m very happy I found this forum. I hope none of my questions irritate any of you, I’m just really scared.

Age- 29
BMI-20
Sex- female
Location- Montana, US

I started to feel weak and have tingling all down my left side (yes I know als doesn’t have anything to do with sensory issues but the tingling has gone away). I went to the emergency room twice thinking I was having a stroke or had a brain tumor. Everything came back normal (exam, bloodwork and head CT) they ruled out several things including Lyme and MS.

Then I went to my GP doctor. He did a full neurological assessment and said everything was normal. My strength is 5/5 and he can’t tell the difference between my right and my left. The “perceived” weakness I have all down my left side (Arm and leg) is now accompanied by cramping in my upper thigh and calf and sometimes in my right thigh. I also have twitching randomly all over but now a lot in my left leg and calf.

Symptoms have been going on for 7 weeks now

I guess what I'm hoping for is that some of you either are going though something similar or have and have some advice.

if someone could answer the following questions that would be amazing.

1). With this disease does perceived weakness come before clinical weakness?

2). Does atrophy come before or after weakness?

3).The cramping in my left thigh and calf- is this a sign of muscle wasting?

4). Is my twitching a sign of muscle wasting?

I have an appointment with a neurologist but because of the back up with Covid I can’t get in until October. :(

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I really appreciate it.

Brittney

No.
Usually after, since muscles atrophy once nerves are dead.
No. There are no "signs" of wasting other than wasting, and much wasting is relatively benign or just normal variation.
Ditto.

Widespread twitching with normal function argues against ALS. And starting with tingling leads me to think about dehydration, a virus, even food poisoning. So I'd imagine that the neurologist will be reassuring. Meanwhile, it's worth considering sleep, stress, food, drink, exercise, all the stuff that keeps your body even. A wild hare thought would be if you have been in a tick-infested area, there is always the chance of Lyme disease.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Do any of my symptoms sound like als? Like the constant cramping on my thigh and calf? And my perceived weakness? And the twitching where the cramping is?

Also, they tested me for Lyme.

thank you so much again-

Brittney

They do not. I'm glad you were tested for Lyme to rule that out, but in all likelihood there is nothing serious going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back