Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
North West
City
Manchester
Apologies if this is disrespectful to people with the disease, I just don't know where else to turn while I await for a diagnosis.

I'm a 22 year old male. Currently waiting for an appointment with a neurologist.

I first noticed problems about 6 weeks ago. I woke up and my throat was feeling very strange, it was hurting and I was having difficulty swallowing. It didn't feel like a normal sore throat. I went to my GP and he said it was a bad case of acid reflux. Burning my throat.

These problems with my throat continued. I had an endoscopy (camera down my throat and into my stomach). They said my throat was fine but I had gastritis in my stomach.

A few weeks after, I suddenly started getting a pain in my thighs. Like extreme soreness that was really painful. It spread across my legs and didn't go away. I went to the emergency room because I was so worried. They didn't do much, only blood tests and the doctor test all my reflexes. Everything was okay.

The pain went and then came stiffness in my legs. I was still able to walk fine it just felt a bit uncomfortable. I haven't had any issues with falling over, stumbling or losing my balance though.

My vision sometimes becomes very blurred, which comes and goes. Sometimes it can be hard to read text. Then a few hours later, I can see normal again.

Then, about 3 weeks ago, my neck became very stiff and painful. It felt like it was stuck. But like a lot of these symptoms, it comes and goes.

My throat remains the same though. Sometimes I don't notice it, sometimes it feels very uncomfortable when I swallow. I haven't had any issues choking on water or food though. Sometimes it feels like theres a lump in my throat. I haven't noticed any problems with my speaking. My tongue sometimes feels numb at the back, aswell as my lips. Is this a symptom of ALS?

My muscles in my legs and arms often tingle and feel sore. Sometimes they ache badly, other times they just feel stiff.

The past week, I've been getting pains in my hands and stiffness. It's hard to explain the problem, they just feel uncomfortable. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I've also been having issues with shortness of breath. Again, this seems to come and go as it pleases. It feels like I'm breathing through a straw. Then a few hours later, I feel fine again.

My hands are also very shaky. I'm feeling very fatigued most of the time. I often feel exhausted after waking up from a long sleep.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm worried that I have bulbar onset. I'm hoping to see the doctor soon but the waiting is playing on my mind so much.

Thank you to anyone that can give some insight.

ALS symptoms do not "come and go" as you describe yours.

Nor do the various 'feelings' YOU MENTION go with ALS.

Please read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

Nothing you described even remotely resembles ALS.

Print out your post and take it back to your doctor.

ALS symptoms do not "come and go" as you describe yours.

Nor do the various 'feelings' YOU MENTION go with ALS.

Please read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

Nothing you described even remotely resembles ALS.

Print out your post and take it back to your doctor.

Thank you both for your answers. It really means a lot.

I have a question regarding Bulbar Onset. Does it always start with speech problems first and then difficulty swallowing? Or does it vary depending on the person?

Thank you again.

My husband died of bulbar onset ALS.

We don't answer detailed questions about all this here, please respect that.

I doubt you read the sticky as requested, we put a lot of effort into creating it to answer questions like yours.

You don't have any bulbar onset or other onset ALS symptoms. You have been told that several times over. This is great news - go celebrate then work with your doctor to solve your health issues. I don't believe we can do anything more. All the best.

As Kim and Greg each stated - NOTHING you described resembles ALS- not limb onset, not bulbar onset either. Celebrate the fact that you do not need to be here. Your doctor is the best one to address any concerns you have.

My husband died of bulbar onset ALS.

We don't answer detailed questions about all this here, please respect that.

I doubt you read the sticky as requested, we put a lot of effort into creating it to answer questions like yours.

You don't have any bulbar onset or other onset ALS symptoms. You have been told that several times over. This is great news - go celebrate then work with your doctor to solve your health issues. I don't believe we can do anything more. All the best.

I really didn't mean to disrespect you or any of the other members here. I'm sorry if I came across this way. My condolences for your loss.

I've read the sticky a few times but needed some reassurance. Which I've gotten. Thank you.

As Kim and Greg each stated - NOTHING you described resembles ALS- not limb onset, not bulbar onset either. Celebrate the fact that you do not need to be here. Your doctor is the best one to address any concerns you have.

Thank you for the reassurance, it's just what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back