09/1998
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Kapuskasing
Hi everyone;

When I had my gastrostomy tube done last September, my acid reflux got worse and therefore my doctor prescribed a proton pump inhibitor medication, Losec, to decrease the acid production in the stomach. But I knew from experience that I could not crush this type of medication, so I searched the internet and asked my old nursing colleagues how to administer my Losec via my feeding tube. So this is what I have come to come up with that works for me; may be it can help another person with ALS who will face the same problem.

I discussed the problem with my family doctor and he prescribed me the Losec capsules. The Losec capsules have the small sustained release granules. You can not crush these! Most PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) that I know of, are in a sustain release form and can not be crushed.

This is what works for me: We have been using a barell of a syringe, without the plunger. We attach the barrel to the feeding tube, we use the barrel as a funnel; with the tube pinched. We empty the capsule into a small medication cup. We fill the barrel with water and empty the Losec granules in the barrel filled with the water. While we do this we shake the barrel gently to get the granules to go down in the water; while we do this we open the tube and straighten out the tube. Once the water and granules were down the tube; we flush the feeding tube while working the feeding tube to ensure it is patent and not clogged up by the Losec granules.

My nursing friends who work Gastroenterology have also suggested that we dissolve the granules in a little water and some soda bicarbonate, prior to drawing it up and administering it via the feeding tube.

Regards;

Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back