Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
ga
City
atlanta
My 80 year old father has been diagnosed with PLS. He is having difficulty swallowing. He seems to eat ok if he eats slowly but they are worried about silent aspiration and are recommending a feeding tube.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of a feeding tube?

Thanks
Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca ... My impression is that feeding tubes are extremely beneficial for the patient. It is vital that your dad gets adequate nutrition and avoids pneumonia from aspiration. From what I have learned on this forum, there do not seem to be many difficulties when it is in place, and the procedure is not difficult.

I don't have one yet, but am going to ask at my next clinic visit for one to be installed, as it's just become such a hassle for me to eat. The neuros told me at my first visit last June that they would be recommending it to me at some point.

Sending good wishes for your dad.

Yes i would also recommend one ,except remember you wont be able to taste and chew and swallow , i geuss that beats Aspiration Pneumonia . I did Vital Stimulation Therapy ,which they have stroke victims do as some of them have expierienced great results in swallowing ,so much so some have had their Peg Tubes removed .You Might have him try it . It helped me ,no Miracles ,but i didnt have to have a PEG Tube Insertion and i bought my own Muscle Stimulator and now do my own . Like ive said No Miracles but no Tube .Take Your time when eating ,dont try to talk and eat like we use to ,take smaller portions and chew things up good . Geo

You Can Go to www.vitalstim.com and read the results . This is not a scam you can read the data for yourself . Geo

when to get a tube

Was just at my als clinic appt,i go in every 3 to 4 months.I discussed a feeding tube.Given I am eating well and just have to be carefull as to make my bites smalls,i am not in need of one.But they did say that ideally they would want to put the tube in while my respiratory function is still good.My lung capacity is 93% which is still good.If and when my lung capacity gets to where its 55%.is when they would want to do the procedure.Hope this gives a little more info,for you.So I will not get one until I have to,but i have been told some people just want to get the feeding tube procedure just done ,even if they do not use it yet.Take care and good luck ..Kevin from Calgary

Geo,
What do you mean you cannot taste, chew or swallow? My mom just had hers put in and they told her she could use it to maintain health but can also eat what she would like.

Tfisher

Tfisher and Kevin ... you're both right. I also was told that they prefer to do the procedure before the patient actually needs it, and that you can still eat normally by mouth with the tube in place.

I understand many people do both: eat by mouth AND use the tube. It does not affect your swallowing at all.

Tfisher,

Anything taken in through the tube would bypass the taste buds in the mouth. So, no taste sensation when nourishment is put in via the tube.

Zaphoon

P.S.
I guess there's always the good burp!

Last edited:
Kim ... I plan to put the broccoli and lima beans in the tube, and eat the steak by mouth. The best of both worlds.

Beth,

That was funny! You can add one other veggie in the tube - boiled ocra! My dear departed grandmother would make the stuff and I just couldn't get it down my throat. The sliminess of it was just too, too much! (not much different than eating worms or snails - don't ask...)

Kim

Much like people that eat Oysters Raw, Bluck like eating snot, Talk about Gag ,and Bottom feeders , Bottom feeders eat whats on the bottom ,Yuck . And we put this crap in us .Yuck Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back