Feeding Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are finally back home after the procedure. He had the tube placed by interventional radiology while awake as his breathing is poor. Like Darcey and Karen, my PALS went through the placement just fine, but had a vagal reaction afterward. I was waiting for him upstairs and heard them call a code blue and thought I really hope that is not for my husband.

The nurse came and got me and took me to the emergency area where he was being treated. The ER nurse initially said I could not be in there but I insisted I had prior permission given his condition. They let me in which is a good thing as they weren't sure how the bipap works or the transfer sling. They took a couple of x-rays and blood draws and said he could come home.

He is resting now and I am having a glass of lovely assyrtiko. I think we are both exhausted. I am really glad we did this now before his breathing is any more affected.

V

Vltsra, I've been thinking about you all day!

We drove 90 miles to the hospital this afternoon, where my husband had his PEG tube installed, then drove home through a beautiful Montana landscape. He has had a stomach ache but can't really describe it (can't speak, plus there's FTD... Which is no florist, I can tell you!) But he's walking around now, drinking a seltzer water. Hopefully we get an appointment with a dietician soon, because I don't have anything to feed him through his tube and don't know how to do it. But he can still eat, so we're good.

I think I'll have that lovely glass of wine now. Feels like all our ponies are home in the barn safe.

Elkhorn glad to hear you are home and ok. My PALS can't walk any longer but is sitting in his lift chair watching Gunsmoke reruns for the 183rd time. We have the home health nurse coming tomorrow but like your PALS mine is still eating. All the best to you.

So glad you are both done and home! 💜💜💜

Likewise! Sounds like your guys came through like the tough nuts they are.

Vltsra,
I chuckled when you mentioned watching Gunsmoke for the 183rd time… my husband had Alzheimer's, and Gunsmoke was his particular favorite, too. I cannot even begin to count the number of episodes he watched (and re-watched) during the 5+ years of his illness. I've discovered that it is a universal favorite of those suffering from dementia.

I'm glad the procedures for both your husband and Elkhorn's husband went well.

My PALS doesn't have dementia...but I've noticed that the ads on the Gunsmoke channel are largely for hearing aids, arthritis medications, and insurance covering funeral costs.

Sorry, Vlstra I didn't mean to imply that I thought your husband had dementia. I was just relating my own experience with many, many episodes of Gunsmoke.😊

The “Gunsmoke Channel”. Love it. My wife knows, when I get to that stage, to just keep episodes of Seinfeld and the Sopranos running continuously. Glad to hear you both got through those procedures safely, especially with this added Covid complication.

Hi, I just had the procedure done 7/30. I spoke with both the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist. I explained exactly how I wanted my surgery to proceed. They thought it was great and it happened. I chose not to have anesthesia, just local . The tube they put through your nasal passage is thinner than a angel hair pasta. I have been Meditating for 45 minutes a day for about a year now, so I took a minute for myself and they inserted the tube I felt nothing, no gag reflex at all. I didn't feel the numbing needle either. You will feel pressure while the feeding tube is being placed, but no pain. The procedure took 20 minutes. I got to watch it on the screen, while listening to 70's rock. They kept me overnight, because I live 8 hours away from the hospital. But it really was nothing I popped two Tylenol 3 and got home 9:30 last night.

I’m glad things went smoothly for both. So many different experiences told about for the same basic procedure! I had mine placed June 22, had a bad reaction to morphine (scares me a bit for future needs), and ended up staying at the hospital for 3 days. The tube works very well, all healed up, and getting nutrition is now so quick and easy. Getting the bowels accustomed to the new stuff took about a month, much more predictable now. Definitely glad I did it. Not so sure I’m up for having it yanked out and replaced with a button. Any thoughts on that?

If you’re worried about changing a dangler to a button, don’t be. There is a brief moment of discomfort as the original tube is pulled out and that’s it. There have been reports on that this forum of bumper disintegration, infections, etc if the original tube is left in too long. The button is convenient, low profile, and easy to change. My CALS changes mine every 3 months and it is painless.

Thanks for that info Karen. I have to admit I’m fearful of that big bumper being pulled through that tiny hole. I’m glad to hear it wasn’t that bad. But what about having stomach contents coming out when you open the button? Sometimes my tube is full and gross right up to the clamp, and I picture it coming out with some force if I didn’t have a long tube to contain it.

If you have it done in a wound care clinic, it’s quite manageable. Some stomach contents do leak out. The person removing the tube should be standing by with towels and be ready to put a towel over the stoma until the new tube is inserted.

Ok I get that for the procedure, but what about on a daily basis, every time you open the button, don’t you get an eruption directly from the stomach, or escaping gas or whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back