Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Brookline
I have a question about feeding tubes. My PALS was diagnosed 18 months ago and has been on a BiPAP 24/7 for over 1 year. I don't know what his FVC (I think that's the correct term) is but I expect it is not good. Is he still eligible to get a feeding tube? His speech and ability to swallow had declined dramatically over the past 4 weeks but I'm afraid we may have missed our opportunity for a PEG tube. Do you need to go under general anesthesia? He couldn't handle that I'm sure. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Based on what my pulmanologist said, and my experience getting a PEG. The Dr. said that before the FVC got too low to have the PEG put in.

PEG surgery requires the person lying flat on their back and general anesthesia being used in surgery. My understanding is that they don't do forced air, like those of us with ALS and poor lung muscles need to get air into the lungs with a BIPAP. My FVC was 71 at my surgery date.

The answer is, a Dr can tell you.

Posted but went to moderator, why, I haven't a clue.

What does "went to moderator" mean?

Some words trigger moderation. I don't know all of them- but recently learned the word t r e a t m e n t - sure does.

Also links to web sites can prompt moderation.

Your post will eventually show up.

Some doctors will not do it if FVC is too low. And yes, they do need to be put under. However, many PALS have had it done with low FVC. Good luck

You do not have to "go under " to get a feeding tube. The doctor will decide which method you are able to tolerate. I had mine done by a Radiologist using a local. No problems with the procedure at all. Of course it's always best to get it done sooner rather than later. I was still eating some soft foods for about a month after I got the tube. Now I'm only using the tube. Sure going to miss the Christmas dinner and treats. :) :D

Rog had his put in by a radiologist. The tube is smaller, required a local and they used his BiPap... Very successful and his FVC was low.

Jen

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate you taking the time to post. I'm hopeful it's not too late for Don but based on the information you all provided, I will be encouraging him to move forward with the PEG tube ASAP. God Bless you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back