Diagnosis
02/2006
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Smiths Falls
Tammy, my wife, has been feeding herself with a feeding tube for 1.5 years now. Recently she has been experiencing problems. These are her comments..."sever heartburn, regurgitation, when i am feeding i get this film in my mouth, abdominal pain, full feeling that you just don't want anymore and severe heartburn" Her dietician has not returned her e-mails asking for help. Tammy uses the 1.5 cal cans time 5 per day. Never feeds herself when lying down. Anybody had similar problems and what was done to overcome them?
Mark

Hi Mark,

My father has had his feeding tube for almost a year and has all of the same things happening. We started to add an extra hour between feedings and he also take boost juice as a sub for ensure once a day. It seem to help to spread the feeding out a little bit longer. Sorry to hear that the dieticians hasn't contacted you I know how frustrating it can be when you feel helpless. Hope you & Tammy can find something to help with the situation.

:smile:Take Care,
Wendy

Have you tried a different formula? After awhile on the same one many people have this happen. I have also heard that adding some water can sometimes help. Good Luck!

Well I don't know if this helps.........Freddie sometimes takes Nexium once a day, but He also drinks almost a gallon of water a day, I only give him the Jevity as a filler, I cook and grind for him with alot of other supplements.........When he was in the hospital a few weeks ago, they only gave him Jevity and he had severe diarrhea. Well of course they are not going to give him real food, and actually if he could taste the stuff he eats.......eeeeewwww I do alot of natural stuff with him, he has a strange diet the morning is what we call the gruel.....lots and lots of garlic...seaweed and such. I do have the diet if anyone is interested, but he eats salmon, eggs and roast even. I do not recommend this to anyone that does not have the time and MOST importantly you have to add the calories.........As I do not work, well out of the home at least and have no children, this works for us and I love to cook....I hope this helps............Flaxseed and pumpkin seed is also in his diet...It is some work, but I cook enough gruel to last for a couple of days....Good Luck to you
netty

Actually Tammy was in the hospital for a week about a month ago. She got a blood infection? How she got it is unknown and that almost took her from me. All that to say that while in the hospital they were giving her a different formula with, unfortunately, the same results. Plus every morning we disolve a Prevacid (Anti acid pill) and she takes it through her tube. I wonder if the tube, inside her belly may be to high? The tube is inserted just below her breast bone between her breasts. Seems high to me but I'm not a doctor. The kangaroo pump she uses can be set to pump water at timed intervals so she is taking plenty of water. Also I wonder if, because she has been on the same liquid for almost 2 years, her body is saying enough?
Mark

Feeding Tube

My younger brother began showing symptons in 1998, diagnosed in 2001, and has had a feeding tube since 2000. To contain his indigestion without the use of drugs, I give him acidolphilius 3 times a day. He was in hospital, got cdiff 5 times, which I researched to find that antiacids take the good acid out of the stomach which allows cdiff to come back. I rid him of the cdiff and he has been infection free for over a year. A great product is BIOK. This is liquid, which is great for the tube feedings and contains 50 Billion good bacteria. This is expensive, but good. Now that he is better I purchase pills and crush, which are cheaper. I buy at Trader Joes. He gets 30 billion a day now, and does very well. Acidophilius will contain acid reflux and indigestion. Best to start the day with some.

scbridges, sister and caregiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back