07/2021
Country
US
State
GA
City
CUMMING
Hi All,

One of the main reasons my wife is resisting the feeding tube is that she wants to continue working out as long as she can. We have not heard a definitive answer from the clinic yet.

Have any of you been able to continue doing core type yoga style workouts with a FT in place? How long after surgical procedure?

Thank you all
Scott

A friend in my online support group said his doctor told him to lay off exercise for six weeks. He's planning on getting a mic key button because he has a heated pool and loves being in the water.

He's counting down the days. I would think gentle yoga moves from a seated position could be done but it's best to clear all exercise with her health care providers. I had a student with a feeding tube and she did all kinds of exercise.

I think it may depend on a few things, including the level of yoga she is at, and how much she is willing to build slowly to what level the stoma can tolerate.
The stoma will need some time to heal, probably a month, and then it would be be a slow build up. Because yoga directly uses those core stomach muscles there will be a difference in what she will be able to do and she would be wise to have both her doctor and an experienced yoga teacher working closely with her.
Children with FT play sports and swim and live quite normal lives, so in general exercise of many types, even vigorous exercise is very possible.

After a period of time she can also change from a dangling tube to a button. The healing after the change will be much shorter, and will make all activities a lot easier.

I have had a tube for about 5 years now and it has not stopped me from doing anything I want. I'm confined to a wheelchair now but before that the tube didn't bother me at all. I still don't really need the tube I still eat in the normal way, I use the tube twice a day to take my foul tasting meds.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back