10/2006
Country
US
State
Happiest Place on Earth
City
Big City
Hello-
I've been a quiet observer of this forum for the past year (mom diagnosed 9/06) and am in need of guidance and support for what to expect after the insertion of a feeding tube.
My mom is having the procedure performed tomorrow and after speaking to the nutritionist I fear they are not familiar with ALS-specific cases. Is there anything I should be doing differently or be paying special attention to in the days and weeks following the procedure?
I appreciate hearing your experiences.
Thank you.

If you use the search feature or just click on the topics at the bottom of this page you should find some helpful information. Welcome to the forum as well.
AL.

Feeding tube experiences

Husband had feeding tube with no unusual episodes. Made sure tube was cleaned around opening daily with his showers using dial soap only, nothing else around the opening to prevent infection.

Used clean syringes daily for bolus method (gravity feeding method) 4 times a day with the Jevity cans. Flushing before feeding with water and flushing after feeding keeps everthing flowing good. You will receive instructions on all of this procedure.

This feed tube feeding is quite simple and without any incidence. Cleanliness and consistent time schedule is important, as with normal daily routine was before.

Hugs & Prayers,
Caroliney

Ilovemymom,

I think Caroliney gave good advice - make sure site is clean, and flushes are important. My mother had a feeding tube placed in April, and had only slight discomfort for the first day or two. She looked so much more hydrated after the procedure. Can your mom eat soft foods, or anything at all? My mother opted to not have a feeding tube until eating became very difficult, and there was a big risk of aspiration. However, she did not have any breathing issues, and that would make the procedure more risky.

The placement of a feeding tube only takes about 20 minutes, and mom was not at the hospital longer than two hours total. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back