Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
GR
State
Greece
City
Thessaloniki
I am 18 years old I always had in my life the fear of having als. In the past 2 months I started feeling weak in my hands and legs and then i started having difficulty eating.(needed a lot more strength to eat) I went to a doctor a patholog.. He said I had a fever and that the weakness was becausw of that.

After 2 weeks my illness has gone and I still felt weak and my mouth needed a lot more work to eat. Although my legs and my hands had a lot of stremgth i could walk and run normally i waa feeling a bit dizzy when walking and felt like i was missstep sometimes.

I went to the hospital and asked to see a neuro. When i talked about my anxiety about having als the neuro laughed and said that i am not in the age to have something like that. The doctor made me some strength exercises and all seemed fine as she said. She said that she is 100% sure i had mothing.

A month passed with having the same symptoms but the last 3 days i feel my hands shaking when trying to catch like a t shirt i feel strange as i cant hold the shirt properly. My hands sometimes when writing are weak and feel like i cant control them properly. Started to have more weak jawline and i cant eat without having to use a lot of strength in my mouth .

My feet in the moment saying seem fine and I can run normally but I am having contractions in the muscles all these 2 months with doctors saying that this is because I am extremely anxious.

From yesterday I cant say the word R without difficulty and sometimes I cant even speak properly confusing my words . I dont know what to do ...

Last edited by a moderator:
George, I think your longtime fear is ruling your body. I would find a physician you can see on an ongoing basis, who can monitor your strength for your peace of mind, and perhaps can recommend a counselor whom you can speak with about your fears.

Once you are less anxious about ALS, it will be easier to sort out if there is any remaining illness, like maybe the remnants of a virus, that should be addressed.

But from all you have said, we will not see any reason for you to be concerned about ALS, which is a very good thing. Don't let your fears take over what should be a healthy life.

Best,
Laurie

Although I havent done any EMG tests or anything you say that this is not ALS symptoms. Maybe I should go and do some more tests just to be sure ? Or you aggree with the neuros decisions that I should just let that go and focus on my brain strength and fears?

Thank you so much for your reply. From everything you said so far I dont have any symptoms to be considered as als but I didnt have any tests made like EMG or sth to show me that. You think I should look at it more ? Or let it go and focus on my mind strength and control?

Thank you so much for your support. From everything you said I should stop considering having als and just focus on a way to calm my mind and strength. But I havent done any EMG'S or tests like that .. You think I should look at it more or just let it go ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree with the neuro. An EMG is not that much fun and it is done when there is reason to worry about a disease of the nerves or muscles. You have so much anxiety right now that the simplest and most likely explanation is that you have nothing wrong with either.

You can also help yourself feel better by making sure you are hydrated, eating healthy foods, doing things you enjoy, being with people you appreciate. In short, you will feel better by giving your mind something to do besides worry, and enough fuel to do it with.

My neuro said that it's not possible to have als at my age. Is that true ?

It is not completely impossible but very young ALS is extremely extremely extremely rare and almost always genetic. You are not reporting ALS symptoms. Your neuro has told you they don’t see cause for concern.

This is the wrong place for you. You are feeding your anxiety. Please have someone block this site on your device and get help for your admitted anxiety

Closing thread. Do not start another. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back