Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
PA
City
Berwyn
Its been several years since I made inquiries about "Text to Speech" assistive devices for PBP. I'd like to start a discussion related to several questions. 1) Do people have favorite devices for use when you can still type on a keyboard? 2) What is their favorite supporting software for their device? and WHY? 3) What is the best way to deal with responding to phone calls?

There are lots of different software apps out there therefore I am trying to get at the question of what might be considered the "BEST" by actual users. I myself employ an ipad/ ipad mini and an ipadtouch. And thru laziness primarily have stuck with "Speak It" app. I found Prologue@Go app too complicated to use routinely. Still struggle with what to carry now that my walking/balance is affected. So portability an issue solved somewhat by the ipad mini however once you add a keyboard still a little hefty but considerably better than the full size ipad weighwise.

I welcome any input for all your experience dealing with similar issues. Thanks!

Also in rereading my thread I realized that I forgot to mention that I rarely use the actual Speak it feature. Rather people just read what I have typed. They can normally read faster than I type.

>Its been several years since I made inquiries about "Text to Speech" assistive devices for PBP.

The only one I have are the Tobii Eyegaze system and the PC add on ... both are good, the PC version is ~$2k, the system was $16k :-(

>1) Do people have favorite devices for use when you can still type on a keyboard?

still have partial use of right hand ...

Maltron One-Handed Keyboards - Right and Left Hand is the one I am ordering. BEWARE FrogPad2 is a scam!

pics below one the two mini kbds I carry for PCs and tablets ...

>2) What is their favorite supporting software for their device? and WHY?

I can still speak a little so I still use Dragon Pro w/ a Sevi 730 ...

>3) What is the best way to deal with responding to phone calls?

I use Version 2.0 Sandy :)

>Still struggle with what to carry now that my walking/balance is affected. So portability an issue solved somewhat by the ipad mini however once you add a keyboard still a little hefty but considerably better than the full size ipad weighwise.

either of the mini's below are pocket-able :)

>I welcome any input for all your experience dealing with similar issues. Thanks!

Ditto that!

>Also in rereading my thread I realized that I forgot to mention that I rarely use the actual Speak it feature. Rather people just read what I have typed. They can normally read faster than I type.

welcome back!

-----
Max - Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:20:00 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Attachments

• DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 470
  • maltron_ergonomic_single_right_handed_keyboard_large.jpg
    maltron_ergonomic_single_right_handed_keyboard_large.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,112
I use Assistive express, really like it. Can also be downloaded on a smart phone I think. Has word anticipation, as well as ability to store frequently used phrases. Cost in January was $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back