Loved one DX
Country
AU
State
Queensland
City
Brisbane
Hi,

My father (80 yr old) was diagnosed with MND in the last month (drop foot etc - ALS?). He's probably had it for about 2 years, although he's complained of muscle cramps for a lot longer. As I read up on it, I realized I'd had muscle "pains" (cramps?) in my right leg and periodic twitching in various places for maybe 3 years. In addition the leg feels somewhat weak. GP confirmed with reflexive and strength tests the right leg is "marginally" weaker and has referred me to a neuro. The muscles in the right lower leg really ache after a decent walk. No other family history I'm aware of.

Of course I'm worried for Dad, but now I'm also panicking about myself (44yr old male). I know you get plenty of queries like this, but would anyone venture an opinion on the likelihood of this being early ALS? Thanks very much, and I wish everyone the best.

Rob.

Peg B

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2006
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Flint
Hi,

I would not venture to say on ALS. Others here much more qualified. But try Tonic water (has quinnine) for the cramps. 3/4 liter a day keeps them away for me. Give it to your Dad too. You might try it with lime. I love the taste and how it feels. Other's don't like the taste, but cramps really hurt so it seems like a small price to pay to drink it.

Best Wishes, Peg

wright

Very helpful member
Country
US
State
xx
City
xxxx
I'm not sure how able-bodied and healthy your father is at 80, but I think it wouldn't be abnormal for someone at that age to get muscle cramps. They could very well have had nothing at all to do with his diagnosis. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions when it comes to your condition. Furthermore, EVERYONE gets fasics. Step back for a moment and think about your symptoms logically and I'm sure you will start to calm down a bit. And the chances that you AND your father develop such a rare disease at the same time, is highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely.
Go see a good, qualified neurologist so he/she can put your mind at ease. I also stress the words: good and qualified . . . because there are many out there that aren't qualified to make such a diagnosis. Unfortunately, neurology isn't a very competitive field, so you usually don't get the cream of the crop when it comes to physicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.