Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
ca
City
Sacramento
My father passed away today, 07/21/2013 at around 7:45pm est; he was 63 years old. He was only diagnosed last year in October.

When I first read about ALS, I expected him to live a few more years. It's insane that this time last year, he was doing okay. Talking, moving, maybe weak, but alive.

I got the call from his nurse today saying he was unresponsive, only blinking at times. I was able to talk to him, to say I love him and that I was going to visit. I instantly called in to work, looked at plane tickets, and right before I was about to book one, his nurse told me he had died. Since I live 2,500 miles away, it's hard to visit often; the last time I saw him was in November. I'll never be able to see him again.

I had always planned to live with him again, before ALS. I'd buy him a house close to mine, after I had graduated college and could afford it. He wouldn't have to struggle financially anymore. I'd get him a dog and let him live out the rest of his years in peace. Ever since he was diagnosed, whenever I saw an elderly man, I was reminded of him. I would be a little bit upset that they go to live on to be 70, 80, 90 and above when my father was dying. But I know I shouldn't be angry.

I'm glad that he isn't hurting anymore. I hope that he goes to the heaven he so believes in. I hate ALS so much, and I'm glad that there are others here who understand this pain. I have only lurked in these forums before now, but I am glad to be able to talk to you guys. Sorry that this post is so long, but I don't talk about this to anyone.

Rest in peace, dad. I'll be thinking of you.

I am sorry for your loss. I am praying for strength and peace for you and your family.

I am so sorry for your loss and can relate with a lot of what you are saying, my mom passed away at the age of 68 and I miss her so much but I know she is not suffering anymore. I am here if you need to talk anytime.

Dana

I am very sorry for your lose! I certainly understand your feelings, I hope and wish for the best for you.

@leafet:

My deepest condolences for your loss. Sending you thoughts of peace and strength.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss and so understand your feelings. My mom died at the young age of 55 sixteen years ago of colon cancer and now my father has this ALS. I was comforted though after mom passed away that she is no longer suffering. I am surrounded with wonderful memories which help me. Your family will be in my prayers. Kim

I'm so sorry! God Bless... I hate ALS too! :(

I am very sorry. I pray for God to give you peace.

I am so sorry for your loss. we all hate ALS too. I wish you peace and love.

Prayers for peace and comfort to you and yours.

Ruth

So sorry for your loss, you are in my prayers

So sorry about your dad. There is nothing good about this disease.

Thank you for your post and your description of the sad circumstances surrounding your father's and your journey with ALS. He had desperately fast progression. I am sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back