Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
On
City
Perth, Ontario
My father turned 65 on November 3rd and was diagnosed 4 days later with ALS. I don't know if the entire concept has hit us yet but I feel that we are somwhat living in a bubble.
Like if we ignore it and don't talk about it it will go away. My father gets very emotional if we try to discuss it at all and my brother is in compleet denial. My mother and I are nore proactive about it and we have been striving to get information.

Back in 1998 my father had surgery to remove calcium buildup from his spine. Durring that surgery he suffered some nerve damage, needed a tracheotomy and was in a medically induced coma for 3 months. He had faught coming out of the anisthesia and practically but his tougne in two. While in the coma he got Pnumonia three times and almost died twice because of compromised breathing.
After that his legs were never good, he would loose muscle control of them and walked with a cane. When we first noticed his arms getting weaker it was about 3 or 4 years ago. Because of his pre-existing spinal damage we needed an MRI to confirm that the calcium had not come back into his spine. After a year of waiting and 3 nurologist apointments we found out that wasn't the cause.
So we were chaseing after answers. We persuded lead poisoning, mercury poisoning, MS. Parkinson's, Kennedy's, lyme disease and a slew of other possibilities. None of which panned out.
Finally Dad was scent to a nurologist who specializes in motor nurons. That is when all the tests were done and bloodwork and such to rule outeverything else but ALS.

My first reaction to diagnois was "Why!?" Why my father, he had already suffered a near death experiance or two while recoveing from the spinal surgery. He had been a Forest Fireman while I was growing up. I lost a lot of time with him over the years. He was away for Fire season, then almost half a year in hospital and recovery with the back surgery.
Why couldn't god give me time with my dad?

Then since that I have been thinking that god is giving me time, it might not be a long time but, I am again living at home at 32 years of age, going back to school for retraining. I am able to help my mother care for him and maybe build the relationship I didn't have.

Dad's current symptoms are both Spinal and Bulbar, his arms are basically useless when trying to do anything requireing strength, even lifting a can. He has trouble manipulating food in his mouth and uses a fork to manover it to where he can chew. He also because of the scar tissue from the tracheotomy has a hard time swallowing somtimes. He slurs his words and by the end of the day his voice is gravely. He is still able to walk and sit and stand mostly on his own but he is unable to dress and get himself showered and in or out of bed.

I am concerned about how more of a lack of independance will effect him. He already hates to ask for help and resents his inability to accomplish menial tasks such as putting a dish in the sink (because he's unable to lift it). In the past year he has lost aproximately 100 lbs and is a shadow of his former self.

Living in Canada the support group closest to us is over an hours drive and my mother does not like leaving dad alone for any period of time. I told her I would stay with dad if she goes but my mother's health is got good. She has Fybromyalsia and Arthritus. I am doing the best I can but would love to make contact with others that I could talk to rather than adding the stress of my concerns to my parents.

Thank you for listening

I am sorry your family is going through so much and your dad is having to endure yet another challenge. When it rains it pours. We are here for you and I hope we can be a support for you. Ask any questions you want.

Does he have a PEG (feeding tube)?If not is it being considered? He has lost enough weight, a PEG could stop the weight loss and keep him nurished.

Chase, Your dad's story is so tough, as he's been through such suffering and physical loss before this. I really am sorry. The thing in your post that seems like a bright spot is that you will now get to know each other and share something you probably thought was lost. I pray that is the case and that he is able to let go of the losses he already has suffered and will suffer. The diagnosis is so soon. I don't think many of us, if anyone, can adjust so quickly. I found it very difficult to get my mind really accepting. You and your dad and mom are in my prayers as you continue. Chase, it will evolve into a new "normal". We simply mourn and then adjust, and everyone here will want to help and to support you guys.

Post questions or comments. The caregivers (CALS) have so much experience to share.
Blessings,
Ann

So very sorry you have to be here but I know you will find this to be a very supportive place with lots of good advise. Nothing but the very best wishes to you.

Hi Chase, my name is Aimee. My mother was just diagnosed with ALS on Tuesday. I know i havent been through as much as yourself and your family with your fathers history, but i can tell you that i understand your feeling regarding the uncertainty of this disease. What my game plan is right now is building up my own support network and getting the help i need emotionally to be able to be there for my mother and the rest of my family. Yourself, just like everyone else on here are among the most courageous people in the world. It takes a lot to reach out to other people and share your story. I believe we have both come to the right place to get guidance for our new journeys. I wish the best for yourself and your family and i will be here anytime if you need to talk. Kindest regards, Aimee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back