Not open for further replies.

WorriedSick81

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Recently started having issues with swallowing. Not that I can't swallow but certain foods that are dry seem to give extra residue that gets stuck in my mouth. Just assumed it was dry mouth issues. Now have weakness in arms and legs. Not sure if its clinical weakness or perceived but my doc wanted me to get an Ent and Neuro check which I am in the process of doing. Honestly ALS never crossed my mind until I typed swalling issues and limb weakness into Google. Did some reading and read about fasiculations. Are these like a Hallmark where if you have ALs you get pretty much non stop fasiculations? I mean I am sure everyone gets twitches in various parts of the body at some point but if your not getting constant fasiculations does that pretty much eliminate ALS?

Nope, not how ALS starts (and my husband was bulbar onset). Twitching means nothing.
Let your doctors do their job, they have the training. You can worry yourself all you want by googling, but we can't play the game with you here.
Let us know the results of your doctor tests and examinations.
If you want to keep reading stuff, read this and then stop searching for your own sake.

The opposite. Widespread fascics at onset are not ALS.

Dry food residue can relate to dry mouth, a feature of some diseases, sometimes weather conditions, sometimes not drinking enough liquid, stress, etc. The docs will help you sort it, but there is no reason to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Just wanted to post a follow up as I had my neuro appt this morning. He said my exam was 100% normal and if he was concerned about ALS he would he wouldn't hold back. He was mildly concerned about my swallowing issue and is sending me to get a modified barium swallow test to see if we can pinpoint a cause. Also scheduled an emg test at the end of September for basically peice of mind and my own sanity so I can forget MND. And in regards to the twitching he didn't seem to care and just reiterates what everyone else says. He watched me for 20 minutes in the office and go figure, no twitching.

Please be sure you believe him and the EMG results, and move on to a healthy life.

Looks like my swallow test was normal. Go figure, that was my biggest concern. My doctor wasnt calling me back in regards to the results so I was able to get them off the portal. I am concerned about the comment on the lungs. I am thinking if it said low lung volume their would have been some recommendation to follow up on it and it should have been typed out as normal lung volumes noted.

Attachments

• 20210818_164243.jpg
    20210818_164243.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
I'm thinking you need to discuss with your doctor.
Totally normal, well done!
Whatever is going on, only a doctor can work out with you but that's it for questions here as you really don't have anything we can comment on. If you do proceed to an EMG next month, let us know the result.

Congratulations. Normal exam, normal emg and normal swallow study! Have a long and happy life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back