Fasciscs/ fatigue / weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it doesn't.

Just as one of many examples, you could have an adult onset food allergy. But many of us have a "little difficulty with pills" from time to time.

An allergist can test what you might be sensitive to. You might also keep a food/symptom diary for starters. But there is no reason to think you have ALS, bulbar or otherwise.

Please just come back after the EMG we can't add anything more. I know it's hard to wait, we all had to do the same.

Sorry to come back once more - I have an EMG and swallow study coming up in a couple weeks. I was hoping for a quick opinion on what has changed and also any advice on how to approach my upcoming appointments.

41 YO male

timeline:

July - facsiculations started all over body, primarily in legs, but including all parts of body including tongue

August - normal emg, normal clinical - doctor suspects BFS

September - twitching in both legs becomes more intense and inclusive of spasms and light cramps mainly in left calf - no clinical weakness

October - teeth clinching, tongue and cheek biting started.. irritation in throat began

November - irritation in throat has evolved to a problem with swallowing mainly saliva. It’s as if my swallowing motion is obstructed. Also, thin saliva has been dripping down my throat causing me to clear throat constantly and cough. I also have fasciculations in my jaw and lips and my jaw has started to get tired while chewing.

6 weeks of “swallowing” difficulty has me very scared of bulbar and I’ve been having difficulty coping emotionally, as I have two small children and the holidays are weighing heavy on me. I know the upcoming tests should tell me more, and I really hate to bother you, but I’m looking for any input to help hold me over. Also, I have an appt with ENT before the emg and swallow test so if there’s anything I should bring up during that appointment, I’d appreciate your opinions.

Did you ask about potential TMJ dysfunction/a night guard? A sleep study? Our answers are not going to change. If this is your first ENT appointment, those remain things that I would ask about, along with potential allergies.

Thank you, lgelb. I appreciate your reply, along with the other moderators on this forum that are selfless enough to take their time to reply. You all have huge burdens, yet make time to help others. I just want to let you know it’s really appreciated as personally, the weight of this fear is impacting my family on a daily basis. Not having answers and not being confident in what’s happening to me has been the most challenging time of my life.

ENT did not make any recommendations after my previous appointment. The upcoming appointment is my follow up.

I did see a dentist who found an issue with my teeth that could cause some TMJ type stuff, but didn’t think it would be related to swallowing/saliva running down throat. I actually have oral surgery scheduled for Monday to remove wisdom teeth and small cyst near wisdom tooth - I’m considering putting it off as I don’t know if oral surgery could affect my ENT appointment, upcoming EMG, or swallow study.

I just can’t get over the fear that the swallowing issue is actually my first “clinical weakness” Since all of these things started happening 6 months ago.

Last edited:
You do not have any ALS symptoms. At all. Why won't you believe doctors and the folks on this forum that tell you this. Why? Your health anxiety has you not thinking clearly. Any rational thinking person, without an obsession of getting an ALS diagnosis, would be thrilled to hear this and be on their way. You? Not so much. How about you step back, be objective, and actually try to believe what everyone is telling you- that you DON'T have ALS. Be grateful for that, would you?

No, this is not the first sign of clinical weakness in ALS. That's not how it works.

If there is a clear indication for the wisdom tooth surgery, I wouldn't postpone it for any of the reasons you list. The goal is to improve your health, not chase a particular test or disease.

Thank you. I apologize if my questions come off insensitive at all. I am not chasing a diagnosis, but rather have a tremendous fear as no doctor has been able to give me any meaningful answers for what I’ve been experiencing. I truly appreciate your replies and although you my not realize it, your responses go a long way in helping those who are frightened enough to come here to this forum and ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back