Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
FR
City
Marseille
Hi,

My name is Romain, I am 27 years old. I am French so sorry for my poor English.

I would like first to thank you for the help and kindness everyone brings here. Also, I am sorry because I know this forum purpose is to care about people suffering from ALS or people who lives with someone affected with this disease.

I feel not legitimate to post here, even more after the "Read me" thread about symptoms, and what is/what is not ALS.

I also saw 2 doctors telling me I do not have ALS, but it seems they told me that because it is super rare and not after a real clinical exam. But of course, they are very likely to be right even if I would have prefered to visit a neurologist but doctors refused to let me do it).

But still, I feel so anxious, so bad, so desesperate. I am selfish because I will take someone's time reading this thread. I would totally understand that nobody wants to reply to the 453242th thread of someone who is very unlinkely to have the disease. But writting about it helps a little.

Sorry I speak way too much and still did not explain about my conditions and my symptoms.

To start, I think I am in "good" health (physically, probably not mentally). I suffer mostly from asthma and allergies. I also suffer from visual snow syndrom, probably after anxiety attack when I was 18 years old. I also suffer from tinnitus and pain in my left jaw (but again, probably from anxiety). Also, I have tachycardia (I did a blood test and everything was fine except a bit too much triglycerides, so normally I do not have heart issues). I also have a bad blood flow (my mother too) so it happens I have tingling that stops when I get up and walk.

Oh I forgot, my blood test revealed an old Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus. Also I was infected by Covid19 in January (but I was vaccined with 3 doses of Pfizer so It was not a hard Covid19 for me except shaking and fever).

About why I am here and what symptoms bring me there :

Last friday night, when I was in my bed, I felt my left leg vibrates like a phone. It felt like a phone because it was vibrating for 3 sec, then stopped for around 5 secs, and then vibrates again and and stop etc... (It was only friday night, It never happened since then).

My first (and worst) action was to google it. Of course the first result was ALS and I felt very scared. Even more when I found a french tv show 2 weeks old where a 20 years old woman and another 27 years old woman talked about their ALS and how it started (cramp and contraction in their cases).

After that, I began to feel fasciculations in my left leg. Useless to tell you I barely sleep due to the anxiety I felt at this moment.

When I woke up, I felt my left leg was a bit contracted and painful (or at least weird sensation as weakness or less feeling , especially above my knee).

Later, I also felt fasciculations in my right leg, and also a bit of fasiculations in my arms, hands et back). It is like 40% in my left leg (a little bit more painful than elsewhere) 30% in my right leg and 10% for the rest of the body.

When I walk, I feel like my left leg is a bit weaker than my right (yet my dominant leg is my left). I tried to walk on my toes and it is working but again, I feel like I am more balanced on my right than my left side.

I also feel permanent tingling in my left foot and feel pain in my pinky toe since today (especially when I walk on tiptoe to test my strength).

My left arm is also a bit painful, my little left finger shakes a bit and when I touch my left elbow, it is painful like an irritated nerve.

Finally, last night, my left leg contracted 2 times and moved super fast in the bed unintentionally.

It has been 5 days of poor sleep, big anxiety and I really hope that all I need is psychotherapist and not an EMG...

If someone cares to answer, please tell me what you really think and if it is a possibility I have ALS and do not just tell me it is nothing to reassure me. Just the truth please.

I tried to be be as complete as possible, with every little details, I think I did not forget something but I will add if I remember anything.

Thank you in advance for your kindness,

Have a nice day,

Romain.

I forgot to add that I take multivitamins and magnesium so I do not think I have deficiency that could explain my symptom.

Sorry I cannot edit but I also had a botulinum toxin injection 2 weeks ago in my jaw to reduce pain (masseter and temporal muscle) even if do not think it is related to my symptoms but at least I put the max infos.

Hi Romain,

You're not describing ALS or any other type of motor neuron disease, thankfully.

You've had a lot going on that could contribute to these symptoms like Covid and anxiety. I understand.

Just some suggestions. You really need to take your concerns to your primary doctor. If I were you I'd get my D3 and B12 tested. I'd stop drinking caffeine, exercise each day, get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, eat healthy, and, if it's possible, get some counseling to help you deal with anxiety.

When I was young I had anxiety attacks and heart palpitations. It was horrible. There is medicine that can help and counseling can help, too.

I'm sorry you're going through all of this but you don't need to be here.

Best wishes.

Hi KimT,

Thank you for your reply, I really feel your kindness through your words...

I already tried to explain to my doctor (maybe not as structured as my post above) but my doctor said that in 30 years of practice she never diagnosed an ALS (really hope I am not her first one).

My B12 has been tested and good, my D3 I don't know, but in doubt, and living in, south of France, I will try to sunbathe a lot ! I don't drink coffee because of my heart palpitation, but I don't exercice enough so it is maybe a way to start.

I think I need to get some help for my anxiety you are right, I will definitely see someone.

I am sorry you went through anxiety and heart palpitations, but I feel that you are a strong person and you succeeded living your life.

I really like you guys but as you said I really wish I don't need to be here.

Thank you again, I wish you to have a long and happy life.

Hi all,

Just an update.

I was feeling more and more fasciculations and some onset of cramp under my left leg.

I went to a neurologist today. She told me everything was fine except "essential tremor"

She did not notice my fasciculations because it did not appear during the exam but I know I have some. (I see them)

She schedulded an EMG to reassure me in 2 days.

I know that if my EMG is good I will be able to move on but until then I am very scared that she could be wrong.

So my question is : Did it ever happened to anyone that a neurologist said you are perfectly fine and then the EMG show the contrary ?

I say that because I know there are some ALS case which started only with fasciculation and cramps and nothing else...

Thank you guys,

Romain.

Mine started with very localized fasciculations and cramps. I had fallen while running a year before and suffered a traumatic brain injury. A year before that I twisted my ankle for no apparent reason but thought nothing of it and it healed. After the TBI I went to the neurologist, they saw one sided brisk reflexes, positive Babinsky on one side and my EMG was indicative of ALS. I had weakness in my left hand and atrophy in that hand.

Honestly, the vast majority of people with twitches and cramps don't have ALS. There's a thing called cramp fasciculation syndrome that is treated with muscle relaxers.

So, in my experience, there would be more than an EMG. They would have some clinical findings.

Let us know your EMG results. It helps others.

Hi KimT,

Thanks again for your message and your time, that is very kind.

Your case is not very reassuring lol, but I hope you are fine.

It is weird because I have most of my fasciculations on my calf but my pre-cramp sensation is more on my thigh..

Normally my EMG should be good as my neurologist did not find any clinical issues (babinski negative on both sides, no brisk reflexes etc..)

My neurologist sent a mail to another neurologist where I will make the EMG and this neuro called me in preparation for the exam and told me he is 100% convinced my EMG will be good tomorrow, that I already can celebrate with champagne etc...

It is like he wants to "provoke" the universe, I am so scared lol.

Of course I will let you know my EMG results and I hope it is positive...

Have a nice day

Kim’s doctor did NOT say she was fine before her EMG. She told you she had multiple abnormalities on her clinical exam unlike you. Please let us know the results AFTER you receive them

Hi everyone,

As planned, I did an EMG yesterday - with a very kind and helpful neurologist - and he told me I do not have ALS.

He told me that he never diagnosed an ALS in someone before 30 years old, and that only Family ALS may happen before 30, so that was reassuring lol.

He also told me that fasciculations are nothing, and that fasciculations in ALS presents differently (constant muscles moving like worms under the skin) whereas mine are only tiny and quick twitching at different areas.

Also, as you guys says in the "read me" post, he told me that ALS is about failure, not pain or weird sensation. To conclude, he told me the mind is powerful and anxiety may even lead to temporary blindness sometimes...

You will find attached here the result of my EMG (2 pages) if you are willing to comment maybe my NCS (sorry it is in french).

I do not want to go down the rabbit hole (I did not know this expression as a french person lol), so I presume that a normal clinical exam + a normal EMG shall means that my chance to develop ALS soon is like 0,000000000001%.

What I have learn from this terrible experience is I will NEVER EVER ask Dr.Google the next time I experience weird feeling in my body. If I have a doubt I will go to a doctor but that is it.

I will die someday, but probably not from ALS, so I need to enjoy my life more because time is precious.

Thank you guys for your time and help, could you please tell me how I can make a donation for research ?

Have a nice day,

Romain.

Attachments

• EMG1 - Copie.png
    EMG1 - Copie.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 121
  • EMG2 - Copie.png
    EMG2 - Copie.png
    571 KB · Views: 121
Congratulations. Yes a normal emg and a normal clinical exam = no ALS. Staying away from Mr Google for medical advice is very wise. He is a terrible diagnostician and most often a liar too

have a wonderful life. Go and celebrate

Hi all,

I really hoped at the time that was the last time I would post but here I am again (like so many others...).

I was so relieved because I had a clean clinical exam + a clean EMG 2 months ago.

But despite the fact I was relieved, the twitching persisted as the "cramp" sensation in my left leg. But I was like "ok probably BFS or stress"

The problem now is that for the 4 past days, I am experiencing pain and weekness in my left wrist. I never had pain in wrist, I did not exercice or something else that could explain the pain (which increase everyday).

During the clinical exam 2 months ago, the neuro said it was perfectly normal but still noted some brisk reflexs bilaterally and a tiny positive hoffman in my left hand (but for the neuro it was not relevant).

But now, because I have my prior symptoms + the pain/weakness in my LEFT wrist, and when I remember my positive hoffman in my LEFT hand, I am going back to the ALS rabbit hole again.

I know a clean EMG means no ALS in 99% of the cases (and I know you cannot do an EMG too early because 70% of your LMN dies before you develop clinical weakness). But what if I have UMN lesions first (that you cannot see in EMG) and not LMN yet ?

I also know that in 90% of the cases, pain or "feeling" is not a symptom of ALS, but sometimes, it is.

So yeah, of course, if you add my age (27) + no familial history of ALS + normal clinical exam + normal EMG + pain, I guess that the odds I am developing ALS must be like 1 chance over 10 or 100 millions. Maybe I would be the first case ever of ALS with my medical profile and history.

I do not want to go back to the doctor, I am so tired of all of this, I just want it to stop. But my body is trolling me with new symptom and I hope it is only trolling and not something bad.

Anyway, it always feels good to speak, thank you all for your help and your time.

Have a nice day.

Hello and sorry you are back here experiencing new troubles. What you have been reporting and the answers you have received here and from your doctors and EMG all indicate something other than ALS/MND.

So, you've listed all the reasons why you don't show signs of ALS/MND, so it shows you are already aware this forum is not the appropriate place to be getting your answers. That does not mean there isn't something wrong, but a forum that is for those diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers is not the place to help you figure it out. Your doctors are who you should be working with. We really are not able to provide you with what you need, as we are neither a diagnostic resource, nor a place to help those who have anxiety about their health. There are general health advice and anxiety forums online- reddit, FB and dedicated forums. Try searching for NoMorePanic forum, as well "Muscle Twitch" or "AskDocs" on reddit.

Please take care, and I wish you well with your doctors in finding the answers you seek. I will be closing this thread, as it has run as long as is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back