Not open for further replies.

pharm1student

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello everyone. I am a 25yo male getting ready to graduate college. I've been having some concerning symptoms and was hoping to get some clarity.

My symptoms started in October 2020 - I had right calf pain that would come and go intermittently.

Fast forward to spring of 2021 and I began to notice fasciculations in my calves and thighs after running. This concerned me, so I stopped running/exercising completely, which made the fasciculations go away.

Fast forward again to 2 weeks ago (March 2022). I decided to try to start running again. After my first run, I didn't notice any fasciculations; however, after my second run, the fasciculations came back (in my calves and thighs) and have been present ever since. The fasciculations generally occur at rest, and are worst when I'm lying in bed getting ready to go to sleep. In addition to the fasciculations, I've noticed muscle spasms in other areas of my body (i.e. arms, back). Also, I feel that my legs become fatigued much quicker than before, and my right calf (the one where the pain originated) seems weaker than my left. I visited my PCP and she didn't seem concerned about atrophy or my reflexes upon physical exam. She went ahead and ordered an EMG for the fasciculations, which hasn't been scheduled yet. I'm not completely familiar with the exact definition of atrophy, and I know from reading the "read before posting" post that fasciculations are common and don't necessarily point to ALS. I guess my main concern is the perceived weakness in addition to the fasciculations.

I truly appreciate any input that might help give me some clarity as I await my EMG.

Bottom line, perceived weakness isn't a concern. Real, clinical weakness is, the kind that your PCP didn't see. I am sure your EMG will be reassuring as regards ALS. While you wait for your appointment, addressing things like sleep, stress, diet, and hydration can help. A drop of magnesium lotion can be worth trying on the hot spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back