rania

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
EG
Hello
I'm Rania, I've been having fasciculations for 3 months now. Started mild, then spread to all muscles, stomach muscles, neck, arms, legs, everywhere. My face also constantly has a buzzing-like feeling. My muscles jerk on their own sometimes too, especially when I'm asleep.
Recently I also developed really painful cramping in leg muscles that doesn't go away with muscle relaxants.
I had an EMG, but the operator didn't want to wait until a twitch happens so she can detect it on the monitor.
The EMG came out clear, but only because she didn't give my muscles a chance to twitch, so she'd be able to see if it's a benign fasciculation or not.
Should I have another EMG and insist that she waits for a twitch to happen this time?

Your muscle does not have to be actively twitching for the EMG to detect signal issues that indicate ALS.

There are many reasons for muscle twitches that will not show up on an EMG though, so do keep working with your doctor to track down what might be causing it.

Take care

The problem is that it's been getting worse, first i ignored the twitches because they were mild, and gradually they are everywhere. Then came the constant painful cramps, like the muscle just clutches on itself.
Add to that the fact that I live in Egypt, a developing country, and it's hard to trust doctors here.
I know you guys are not doctors, but do you think I should drop ALS completely from mind?

No, the operator did not need to wait for you to twitch. In ALS, the damage can be seen from the electrical patterns of activity even when the person does not feel or see anything. I would consult with your primary physician about an electrolyte panel (lab work) and possibly trying magnesium and/or calcium as a supplement, or paying more attention to your diet if needed. Sleep and stress are also important factors. But widespread twitching points away from ALS, as does your normal EMG.

The problem is that you are focusing on twitching as meaning something pathologic.
ALS is a disease of the brain and spinal cord and causes failure.
You should drop ALS if that is what your doctors are telling you and let them guide you on what is next.
Your EMG technician truly knew what they were doing and did not need you to twitch. All the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back