Fasciculations and UMN control

Status
Not open for further replies.
fasciculations aren't always caused by LMN activity. They can occur for a variety of other reasons, too.

Many PLS'ers talk of fasiculations, I believe that maybe everyone is correct, they are just fasics that are not seen on emg, and may be caused by nerve and muscle inflammation and irritation, or the hyper reflexes and such.

Yes, I think the conclusion is that some fasics show up on EMG and some are not, and some of either type are benign, and some are not. Very useful classification indeed :)

Connie, I agree with what you said about your husband, Ihave pseudo bulbar UMN and have had dreadful twitching all over my body. I was not aware of any twitching until after the emg..it did make me wonder if the emg triggered it

Jennifer, did your fasics show on your emg? I have very bad pseudo-bulbar palsy symptoms, I have very severe UMN symptoms, not to mention the LMN symptoms.

I did not develop fascics until 2 years after my first symptom of cramping, all over my body. Followed by limping due to weakness in my left leg. When the fascics first started they were only in my legs. I now have them all over my body. They are also much stronger now than when I first got them. On my first EMG/NCV the dr noted "scattered Fascics" that was the end of Sept 08, I go for second EMG on Jan 30th and I know they will find changes because I can feel them. Not looking forward to it.

Betty

Betty, how severe was your cramping and where was it on you body specifically?

Thanks and God Bless

Jennifer, did your fasics show on your emg? I have very bad pseudo-bulbar palsy symptoms, I have very severe UMN symptoms, not to mention the LMN symptoms.

I sent you a pm

jules

The cramping was in my legs and believe it or not, in both hands. Any repetitive movement or long periods on my feet would set the cramping off. The cramping in my hands was so bad I had to hold my fingers in place to get any relief. This still continues. I have found that muscle relaxers makes the cramping worse, so needless to say I no longer take them. Now there is not any muscle in my body that is cramp free. Some days are better than others but no day is cramp free. I think the cramps in the neck are the worst but do not have these to often. I am so used to this that if I go for more than a couple of hours without a cramp, it worries me. Why? I dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back