Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
SC
About 2 months ago I had my first panic attack ever after taking to many caffeine pills. Since then I have used any type of caffeine. As I drank in the following weeks , the next mornings I would get panic attacks and they all came together late April and I started having them consistently. All that aside I quite drinking and everything else around 3 weeks ago and went to the doctor who prescribed me propranolol. Attacks sceased and I stopped taking the medication about a week ago. Since about May 3rd I had a weird feeling in my left leg almost like it wasn’t mine. Then came alight twitching in my left calf. Then I thought my foot was getting weaker and there is pain on the inside of my left calf when I raise my toes. Now I have fasciculations all over my body but mostly my legs and mostly my left lower leg and arch of my foot. I can’t tell of any weakness but I fear that the pain is from muscles working harder to make up for loss of muscle use in lower leg. The fasciculations is almost CONSTANT in my left arch and surround my lower leg. I’ve heard of people getting fasciculations first and that’s what’s been happening to me. Extremely worried I know this will annoy PALS please don’t be too hard on me. These fasciculations and the odd feeling in my left foot is driving me crazy although no more panic attacks have occurred since May 3rd. ALSO want to note about a year ago I woke up and my right bicep had CLEAR atrophy almost over night because there was a visible dent that had never been there before. I am very fit so I noticed almost immediately. It went away after a couple of days. Since then this is my only problem.

(Mod note: post moved from another thread, per forum posting rules)

’m 23 years old and noticed twitching in my lower left leg and now in the arch of my foot. My left leg also feels weird and I have stiffness/pain in the lower left inside of my leg. No idea what’s causing it and I’m terrified to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
23 year old male with no family history of Als and my symptoms lately are as follows.

Muscle twitching throughout both legs started 3 weeks ago but mainly my left leg. Whenever I relax it feels like popcorn popping all around my legs as well as anywhere in my body including my face with almost constant tiny ones on the bottom of my left foot and right above the left ankle. These twitches haven’t stopped since.

The muscle right next to my left shin where the twitching originated seems to be having spasms started yesterday.

Forearms have been getting random pain that last about a second or two that I believe to be spasms. Have lost 10-15lbs in the past 3-4weeks with almost no change in diet.

Left thumb getting very easily tired with cramping that just also recently started. A few days ago.

Also wanted to note that I have been having extreme stomach growling that started about 2 weeks ago. And hour after eating and it seems my belly is already empty again.

I exercise frequently and remain hydrated. Anxiety getting the best of me especially when I found out they expect me to wait 6 months until the first opening to see neurologist.

Mod note- merged threads. Please continue posting in your original thread here, than you.

Please read the Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms! thread. It covers all sorts of issues and explains about sensory issues, digestive problems, etc, pointing away from ALS.

While it is understandable you are concerned about strange sensations and pain, it does not immediately indicate a neurological problem. Please keep working with your doctor to get to the root of your concerns, but ALS does not present the way you are describing.

Nothing in your post suggests ALS.
You learned the hard way that too much caffeine can trigger anxiety, panic, rapid heart rate, and also muscle twitching. Yes, twitching.
Some people self-medicate anxiety with alcohol, which is not a healthy way to go.
So I definitely recommend you avoid caffeine or use it minimally, and avoid alcohol.

It sounds like you do have an underlying anxiety problem. You probably would benefit from some meditation to control it on a long term basis. Your family physician can help with this.

But ALS is not a problem for you. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch or how often or how widespread the twitching is.

You have some health concerns, but thankfully ALS is not among them. Keep working with your doctor and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck to you.

Stomach growling after eating can signify anxiety and/or eating too fast. I agree with Karen that you have nothing to worry about in terms of ALS.

You've stopped a beta blocker, caffeine and alcohol over a similar time period -- that put some stress on your body also, that will take some time to settle down. Seriously, try tai chi.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back