00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
City
Oconomowoc
Hi There,

I have the read the stickies but have a few questions.

I am curious if you have found a correlation between fascic only presentation and CPK. Or early disease a d CPK?

Thank you.

No. Ck does not seem to be a reliable biomarker and can be affected by so many things I would not put much emphasis on it. Very high results should be addressed of course as they can indicate a different issue

So last year I started with a weird barrage of symptoms.... It started with globus sensation (lump in throat) which my ENT then chalked up to GERD and tonsil stones. During this time I also found myself having trouble swallowing, but only saliva. I would frequently have laryngospasms, but never had problems when eating or drinking. Again, chalked up to GERD.

Fast forward this year- I was sick about 2 weeks before the globus sensation started back up and the difficulty swallowing (saliva) reappeared. Then a about 2 weeks after that started I noticed twitching primarily in my left leg, but now seems pretty diffuse. And most recently I have developed severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea (TMI, I'm sorry) shorty after eating (gastroparesis maybe?).
No weakness that I've noted, I know it doesnt mean much as it would be perceived not clinical.

I had video chatted my GP who ordered blood work (CPK on my request, magnesium, thyroid, metabolic panel and a CBC) all came back normal except for my eosinophil count which is elevated. CPK was 65 (reference range 26-120).

Any insight to things would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt that your swallowing symptoms and twitching are related. GERD is one of the most common causes of swallowing problems. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

ALS does not start as you’ve described. The most common presentation of bulbar is slurred speech that others notice.

Your CPK is fine. Not to worry.

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate everyone's replies and do have a neurologist appointment for 7/23/20 (soonest I could get due to COVID).

Some other things I would like to note:

I'm a 32y/o female so I know my odds are low, but as most people on here, anxiety and worry gets the best of us.

Feb 2019- globus sensation. EGD and laryngoscopy normal- told I have reflux. Started on meds. Globus resolved in July. Also started with chestnpain- Ddimer elevated (1.06 normal less than .5). CT chest normal.

Around this time I noticed my left hand would copy what my right hand was doing (ie if I was writing with my right hand my bbn left hand would move in sync)

March 2020- sick for 2 weeks, following sickness globus returned, then approximately 2 weeks after fasciculations started that's when CPK and lab values were measured. General feeling of weakness but no noticable loss of function. Have lost about 13lbs but also eating very clean hoping to help symptoms.

Does anyone know anything about mirrored hand movements in relation to ALS? Or other anterior horn cell disease?

Mirror movements on a consistent basis can relate to a variety of neurologic conditions, but it sounds like yours have been more sporadic so less reason for concern. ALS is certainly not at the top of that list anyway.

You can check in with primary care any time via telemedicine to address features of concern, but I don't think we have any relative to ALS. When you are ill generally, and even for some time after, it's not uncommon to have a "general feeling of weakness" as you describe, as well as heightened perceptions of swallowing. I would certainly stay hydrated and address any allergies.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for your reply Laurie- my mirrored movements are consistent in nature and happen anytime I use my right had for fine motor skills(mainly writing). I had a tele visit with my doctor and she referred me to a neurologist but that visit isn't until july unfortunately

Let us know after you see a neurologist :)

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about mirrored hand movements- would it present early in ALS? I dont have hand weakness or twitching in this hand. Also- Laurie mentioned other neuro diseases that are linked with mirrored movements- looking for more insight. I'm trying to get as educated as I can before my appointment.

I have good days and bad days as far as the twitching goes- some days are good, some are non-stop.

I'm thankful for your responses and help while I wait for my neuro appointment.

Thank you

You have asked this question and it has already been answered. No, it has nothing to do with ALS. Best bring these questions to your neuro. Honestly, I have no idea what your symptoms mean so, although you're worried about them, they have nothing to do with ALS, and that is what this forum is for.

Good luck and please stay safe.

Please not more until AFTER you see a neurologist - then you can report what he or she says. You don't have ALS symptoms and we can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back