Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Burnsville, NC
I hope this post is appropriate for this section, but I wanted to briefly share a personal reflection of my experience during my father's battle with ALS and what I hold dearest to my heart after losing him. The topic of ALS can be a sad discussion, it is sad. But, as odd as it sounds, after I was able to move past the first deep stage of grief, I found myself in some ways finding positives in the experience. I wish my dad was still here, but ALS allowed us to stop and smell the roses and remember what's important in life. Life can get so busy and we can take our everyday experiences for granted, we can take family for granted, we can take life for granted. ALS gave my father and I a renewed sense of cohesion in our family and value of being in the moment. It allowed us to heal and forgive past conflicts in the family. It allowed us to jump back into life and not put things off. When my dad got diagnosed one of the first things we did was go on a trip together to see his family and visit Yellow Stone National Park together, it was such a rich experience making memories I will never forget. We saw Bison, Moose, and saw three geisers erupt simultaneously, which we learned from a very excited guide at the park that this was something very special that had not happened in several years! It was hard traveling and getting around took extra effort but it was 100% worth it. We later went deep sea fishing together for the first time and to our surprise we were two of the few people who actually caught a fish! We were a great team, my dad got the initial bite and I reeled the fish in. It was huge and I cherish our picture together grinning as we proudly displayed our catch. During the four years with my dad during his ALS battle we became closer than ever. I made extra efforts to visit as much as possible and continued taking my dad out as much as possible. We especially enjoyed visiting breweries together for good beer and good conversation. When he could no longer hold a glass I would hold it for him and he'd enjoy his beer through a straw. I made sure to video record every Christmas and capture daily life more often. I think back on these experiences and look at these photos and videos and think, gosh, I am so glad I saw this was an important time and that we did these things. I am so glad we cherished the moment and did things we would have normally put off. I hope through your experience either as a person with ALS or a loved one, that you remember to enjoy the moment and the simple pleasures in life, your family, and pursue what makes you happy. I am thankful ALS allowed us to see life through a new lense.

I try to convey this same message to everyone who asks. I had a similar experience and I am glad you got to also. Nothing is promised. Live everyday to its fullest. Treasure the 'now' and make the best of each day that you can.

tc

Hello
Anjum here

For patients the moment mnd is declared....a desthbsentence is impose.it s the rest of the team if the family to understand the responsibility and deliver the most....the way thus blessed son has done to his dad....but there r people who r afflicted and are unfortunate as there s nobody to take their care....for them God remains the only hope to sail them thru this tough time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back