Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
CA
State
ON
City
toronto
long story short. my grandfathers side of the family has familial als. My grandfathers brother got the disease and died within two years. there mother had als and there grandmother also had als. although my grandfather did not get als. neither did his other 3 sisters or other brother get the disease. None of there many children have got the disease yet. I am assuming that I have a big chance of getting the disease considering my grandfather probably has the gene as well and has passed it on to me. What are my chances 50/50 ?

No considerably less. Your grandfather had a 50/50 chance. So if he did not inherit the mutation it can not be passed further down the line. If your grandfather was 50/50, then your parent is one out of four which makes you 1 out of 8 at most. In reality it is lower than that because no one in your grandfather’s line including your grandfather has become ill which makes it more likely than not he is not a carrier

thank you for replying to me. I have many other problems and sometimes I get depressed and dwell on negatives and things I feel I can not control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back