Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Cape Coral
hello everyone, thanks for the site. I lost my father to ALS on 12/12/2017 (he was 73). I asked his Dr (KU Med center, supposed to be a great clinic) if it was familial and he told me is was not (they did not do any genetic testing, but he seemed certain). I have now had for at least a week (not sure if longer, never really noticed before) muscle twitching bilaterally in my calves, outer thighs and sometimes feet (thigh muscles are of symmetrical nature). am very concerned.

Twitching is meaningless without clinical weakness. When the cause of twitching is ALS it is a cry from a dying muscle so there is weakness / failure.

They said it wasn’t FALS because there were no other cases in your family but also because of your dad’s age. The risk of ALS increases with age for one thing. For another, FALS onset is generally younger than the more common so called SALS form

please read the important post at the top of this subforum called read before posting

Thanks for the reply Nikki, I did not see anywhere about "read before posting". I do not have any muscle weakness/atrophy. It is so hard to determine from reading online if ALS would present with just this symptom or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back