Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
Coventry
Hello, I am a 21 year old male, and in 2007 my grandmother died because of ALS at age of 63. Till the last year, I never payed any attention to this disease because simple I wasn’t aware that it could be hereditary. Last year, I started to dig into my family history and it turned out there was no case of ALS. My grandmother’s mother died at age of 73 due to stroke, she suddenly passed away according to my mother and my grandmother’s father died at age of 85 one week after following his wife’s death due to grief. My mother is now 56 years old and I cannot stop myself from worrying about her health. I am just too worried that because my grandmother’s mother did not live up to her 80s but passed away at 73, maybe she did not show any symptoms of ALS. Now, I am just worried that my mom might suffer from ALS in 5-6 years if my grandmother’s ALS was actually a case of FALS. Also, I checked my grandmother’s aunts and uncles, none of them suffered from ALS and they all passed away at similar ages around late 70s. Searched my grandmother’s sisters and brothers, also none of them suffered from ALS. But I just cant rule out the possibility of FALS. Therefore I wanted to ask, whether I am worrying for no reason or is there any extra info about this topic? Thank you so much.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, but you're worrying for no reason. Familial ALS strikes at a similar age for each of the people affected. You are worrying about a scenario where someone dies in their 60s when the previous generation dies in their 80s. Stroke often occurs suddenly, especially in people with atrial fibrillation and/or high blood pressure. There's just no reason to be concerned about FALS.

If you can't get FALS out of your head, it's time to seek counseling. There's probably more going on. You have spent a fair amount of time here. Don't let these fears derail your life.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for the immediate reply. Yes, I will try to take some time off the internet, to calm myself down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back