Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I have a platform walker thst I use inside our home for short distances. Outside I use my pwc. In the last few days I've lost my balance and fallen backwards twice while walking with my walker. Has anyone had this problem? How can I prevent it? I'm scared to use it now.

Yes, I have fallen backwards. See the PT. I’m trying to do some core stability exercises the PT showed me. Unfortunately it also indicates increasing need for the wheelchair. 😓

so sorry about those falls, both of you, how scary
I am afraid it is an indication that walking is not safe. A transfer belt with someone walking beside you just holding a handle may give you that extra bit of stability and prevent you from starting to go backwards. Towards the end of his walking I would walk behind Chris and sometimes would just lightly lay a hand on this mid back as it could give a little stability too. Again just that little pressure if he did tilt back a little would keep him upright.

yes, but I was walking backwards and took my hands off to adjust my pants. Put my butt through the sheet rock and learned an expensive lesson.

An inexpensive solution would be to put a sandbag in the basket. While making it heavier, it is adjustable, and may give enough counter balance to keep you stable.
Vincent

Nona, I was standing in front of a table, TOOK MY HANDS OFF my Rollator for a second, and wound up on the floor on my back. Last year, in a restaurant on Father's day, the same thing happened, except my head bounced off the outside of a booth and the floor. I laid on the floor until most of the pain passed. Then had a brain scan to see if there was any damage. After the third scan, Dr. told me not to "walk" anymore. He ordered a custom power chair. I'm extremely careful when transferring. I must hold on to something at all times.

Falling can occur anytime. For me, it was as if my center of gravity suddenly disappeared. Unexpected, without symptoms or warning, like a tree hewn off at the base. One moment on my feet, the next on the floor! There wasn't anything I could do about it. It's a very weird, uncontrollable, disconcerting , potentially dangerous happening.

My experience may not be exactly like yours at this time. It would be safer to keep someone next to you as Tillie suggests. I also wear a "belt". Water exercises can help with core strength.. I chose that means because there was little chance of injury. Be extremely careful. Walk slowly and carefully. Be safe🌻. I'd hate for anything to happen to you May blessings abound🌈. B :cool:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back