Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
Hi

I work out twice a week - nothing major. But I noticed that when doing fly-curls with dumb bells on the right I can no longer lift the 15kg wight off the ground with the right arm when lying on my back - the exercise is aimed at the pecs/chest and I can do it fine when i've started - it's the strength on the arm to do the initial lift off the ground that's decreased. To me, that’s a “failure” and isn’t the same as the sticky post mentioning reduced reps. Three weeks have gone by - unable to lift it! Though I appreciate since I can still do it with 12kg on the right (left is unchanged at 15kg) a doctor wouldn’t likely find clinical weakness (hence the tentative nature of the question....). Just seems odd that something I’ve been able to do for a fair while, I can no longer do, no obvious muscle strain or injury.

Aged 54, male, I’ve twitches body-wide for about a year. 1 EMG and neuro exam in January this year - which was normal apart from fasciculations recorded on the lower limbs in the calf and inner part of the quad (can't remember the name...) and one brisk reflex on the left side. Interestingly, the EMG was done on the right-side, i.e. where i have problems, and included the bicep or tricep (not sure which) and the muscle on the back of the hand between thumb and index finger - nothing at all found at these points... I sense a few more twitches on the right arm the past couple of months. I understand from reading here that you can't really do an EMG "too early" especially given that the fasciculations were actually recorded on the EMG machine (ok, I know that these can mean something, or nothing). Would a problem presenting at this point have been visible at all 7-8 months before on an EMG machine does anyone know? I had a blood work-up for a number of things including Lyme, and an MRI - both of these were fine.

Please could I ask - would you folks recommend I ask to go back to the Neurologist? Would ALS present in this way? Whilst i understand that I'm not dropping cups etc, i wonder if the fact that I'm doing a measurable exercise is in a sense giving early sight, for example would an EMG needle now detect a problem in the arm, etc. ...?

Sorry for the Tolstoy-length post

It’s not necessarily a neurologic failure. Very likely there could be a tendon or ligament issue in the shoulder preventing you from doing this action.

The normal EMG clears you of ALS.

You might consider seeing a physiotherapist.

When in doubt, return to your family physician or internist.

I agree with Karen other scenarios are much more likely. I would add that would be an unusual muscle for first failure. It is theoretically possible that this is failure and at lower weights other muscles compensate. Your doctor can sort it out.

Should an emg be necessary the doctor will know which muscle(s) to look at by your description

....thanks to the 2 who’ve taken the time to reply.

I spoke to a Personal Trainer friend of mine at the gym last night (1 of my days’ workouts is there, the other - where I had the problem - is at home).

He thought it could be forearm muscles since it’s so specific at a given weight and only in a specific part of the exercise- ie the initial lift.

Interestingly, my gym workout last night - on 7 different weights machines - was completely unaffected.

Sports massage may now be the way to go, I have a soreness in the right shoulder and just noticed crepitus/cracking in the right wrist.

I would have a physio check it out before massage. Thanks for the update.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back