Reason
PALS
Country
UK
State
N/A
City
N/A
Found this little video on youtube and it was so sad and funny, that I thought I'd post it up. I'm sure it's already been up here before, but for those of you who haven't seen it... Al, please delete if inappropriate.

Faces of A.L.S. - YouTube

What a beautiful group of people! Thanks for sharing this with us!

here is a link for March of Faces Canada. It is a free site to go to and Canadian PALS can have their picture on a banner. The banners are used at ALS events and puts a face on what is a faceless disease. There is an American site as well. I'll get the link for that as well.
AL
http://www.alsindependence.com/canadian_als_march_of_faces.htm

I watched the video and checked out both March of Faces websites. Tears were running down my cheeks.
I made an observation and I have a question. I only saw one African-American/Canadian person on the video and only one person who appeared to be of East Indian origin in the Banners. I never thought of this before but in my 4 visits to the ALS clinic in Toronto I have met only 2 African-Canadian people.
Is this a disease that predominately affects Caucasian people?

Please delete this AL if you think it may offend anyone but having seen all those faces I thought my question may be valid.

Good question.. I'm wondering if there are any racial statistics as well. I find these things interesting.

Faces of ALS video- my husband is in the teal shirt with the black (tri-colred) Collie. Probably about two thirds thru the video.

You can see the beginning atrophy in his left arm in the picture.

To be honest now that you mention it, I've only seen a couple of African Canadians at the clinic as well. I know of one Jamaican gentleman in Brampton with ALS and we have two Indian people in our support group out of about 6 regulars. I'd be surprised if anyone kept any stats on it but we do have a lot of members from other countries. Interesting question though. I wonder if it has something to do with exposure to toxins. I'm sure a lot of these countries would have less chemical exposure than us.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back