F31 with intense shoulder pain. EMG result help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emscared

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello everyone.
I have to say this seems like the worst club to be a part of with the best members. I am so wowed by the amazing resource this is and how wonderful you all are.

I am a 31 year old female that has been dealing with neck/shoulder/arm pain with bouts of vertigo for 11 months. And sometime it would lead to weird feeling headaches. It would all come and go but it’s been back and consistent for 5 months and the anxiety of it all has really talked a toll on me. Doctor ordered blood tests, seizure tests, a CT all normal. My shoulders have started to consistently burn. And after looking up what an EMG test was I started to have muscle twitching everywhere especially at night. I’ll own that that could be pyshcosomatic.

Then I did the EMG test.
These are the results.
My doctor ordered an MRI but doesn’t seem too worried but did mention ALS which of course really alarmed me. I didn’t think it would ever be something that serious.
I walk all day, never have fallen or tripped or dropped anything. I don’t feel weak. It just feels like I cannot for the life of me put my shoulders down. Could that be Flail Arm? I feel healthy but I’m not sure what to make of these results and would love some help.
I am getting an x-ray of my neck (which was ordered before from the first appointment), the MRI on the 5th and seeing the neurologist on the 6th. Doctor wasn’t concerned enough to move those up I was told.
Thank you in advance for looking things over.

Attachments

• 56A38267-CA1A-463F-A013-524109078350.jpeg
    56A38267-CA1A-463F-A013-524109078350.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 97B450BD-641F-4FBB-B72B-15DC293ACD26.jpeg
    97B450BD-641F-4FBB-B72B-15DC293ACD26.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 148
I don't think you have ALS, not even the flail arm variant, which doesn't present as you describe. There are some conditions that more closely resemble the headaches/vertigo/weak + burning shoulders picture. The tests that are scheduled to help narrow down the problem seem on point.

Meanwhile, my advice is to live the life that others here cannot. There are also many opportunities, especially in the holiday season, to help others who are less fortunate.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for your reply and wonderful advice.

Hello everyone, I’m back again.
The anxiety of this is really taking a toll on me. I can’t stop looking things up about EMGS, but I have spoken to a neurologist friend and a doctor friend of mine and they have also looked at this result and are not alarmed. I just was wondering if anyone else had any opinions. Also full disclosure, I had been out celebrating with my boyfriend the night before and was very hungover for this EMG. It was never explained to me what an EMG was so I didn’t think anything of it. I have since stopped drinking caffeine and alcohol to give my system a rest. The doctor never even really explained why she ordered this test and had said in her office on my first visit she wasn’t worried about anything serious, she just wanted to order a bunch of tests. I’m on Medicaid and this office I was at does everything in house. It all just feels sketchy. She ordered an MRI but it was not approved by my insurance which feels like a good sign, meaning based on all their info they see no reason for it. And I am not showing any new symptoms other then extreme tension in my back and shoulders. Which I would think would be from extreme stress. I even walked five miles yesterday. And the vertigo and headaches are actually a lot better. It’s just the stiffness now through my shoulders and back.
Laurie, your message was so comforting but I’m just having a hard time letting this all go.
The results from my EMG are above in the thread.
I really appreciate everyone taking the time. It is not lost in me how kind it is to do so.

Hello there-

An EMG is not affected by partying the night before.

It might be time to speak with your doctor about support for anxiety while you figure out what's going on. You've indicated that you are unable to stop researching, despite nothing indicating a cause for concern for ALS/MND- in fact, everyone you've spoken, plus your emg results, to has told you "No ALS.".

A fixation on a disease you've been cleared of is a pretty unhealthy way to spend your time. It would be beneficial to find someone you can speak to who can provide you some tools to reduce your worries about things. If you do not like your current medical provider, you have the option of finding another doctor to work with to look for answers.

Please take care.

I am beginning the process of working through anxiety issues. I have therapy tomorrow and hoping for some medication from a phychiatrist in the next week. I really appreciate the response I just worry based on what was said in the EMG result, even though it doesn’t even say abnormal. Can those 3 +1 fibs just be random and not a big deal? I guess that’s just what haunts me even though you all have said it doesn’t look abnormal at all.

You have got to find a way to let this go.

You wrote, "Which I would think would be from extreme stress." It's really called Health Anxiety which
is really a priority you need help with now, thankfully that is coming.

" I can’t stop looking things up about EMGS." Find the strength to stop. And, log of this ALS forum
which you don't have. Don't linger on searching old related threads. That's mental self help...
for your own good.

Last edited:
Em, I am closing this thread, as we've provided as much information as we can. You will have to go back to your doctor to get any further answers. There are also some great online support forums that focus on health worry and peer support. This forum really focuses on providing support for those with ALS and their caregivers. I recommend you block this forum so you are not tempted to return.

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back