Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Louis
My eyes burn. I don't think this is related to ALS, but I thought I'd ask if other PALS have this problem.

I first noticed this about mid September. At first my eyes burned when I rubbed them with my hands. I figured it might be a new allergy to soap. But I've tried other brands. Now I've noticed my eyes burn from shower water and rarely other times from nothing at all. My eyes will sometimes tear up, and that helps because wiping away the tears reduces the pain. Rubbing with a clean towel helps. A moist towel was a better prescription except now water is a new irritant.

This is disabling in that I blink so much I can't see, and also because the burning pain is intense.

My neurologist was unhelpful. Anyone else have or know about a problem like this?

Bob I remember reading about this topic. If you look up HalsWifeFran in the community list, and scan treads started by her she talks about her hubby having the problem of stinging eyes and what approach she used. Good luck.

Laurel

You can try a product called Tears Naturale (or Tears Naturale 2). I have the same problem with dry eyes for years off and on. I take it with me everywhere and it simply moisturizes your eyes, unlike Visine which I believe are medicated drops. You can buy them at local pharmacies. There are similar products like Tears Naturale, but I find that one works the best. It's about $11.

Good Luck

My husband's eyes (his name was also Bob) used to burn so much too. Neurologists and the ALS Clinic team hadn't heard of it! But some doctor down the road said they'd read about it with Parkinson's disease. And yes, Laurel is right. It has been discussed here before. We bought eye drops for Bob to moisten his eyes but used a warm cloth to "rub" his eyes. It's apparently more common than people think. Could you try using bottled water rather than tap water? Take care. Yasmin.

my eyes burn a lot.. Thought it was the Lasix but now thinking it may be the ALS

my tears are like acid .My neurologist was clueless

this topic comes up so often here that there is no way it is not ALS related. My husband has the same problem. We rinse his eyes with a ph balanced eye wash and use lubricating eye drops, and wipe all the time.

my eyes burn also. i use c l a r a t i n for allergies. it helps me. it's cheap so worth a try if ur not on any allery meds to begin with

I've having trouble with my eyes burning also, but they also seem to be sensitive to the light. Anyone have that? I bought some vision and contacted my neuro

i have seen the light sensitivity discussed frequently as well. i wear polerized(sp) anytime i'm outside

My husband's eyes burn often and are very sensitive to light. I also catch him holding his eyelids open with his fingers when he gets tired, lately. He has almost no communication skills left, so I can't question him about this. Anyone with suggestions for relief? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back