Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
now that summer is here, i am trying to use my eyegaze computer outside. The glare from the sun makes it impossible for it to read my eyes unless I am completely in the shade.

does anyone have any suggestions?

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
I noticed same problem even in the shade. Polarizing lenses would prevent eye tracking. I guess you have to be in really dense shade.

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I saw someone put their computer in a cardboard box ( obviously open facing you). They were not using eyegaze though just working outside

JimInVA

Forum Supporter
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
I looked for references related to the two eyegaze products that I'm familiar with, the Eyegaze-Edge and Tobii.

Eyegaze-Edge - Here's what they write...

The Eyegaze-Edge systems work well in a normal indoor environment, but should not be placed directly in front of uncovered wndows. Because eyetracking uses infrared light to illuminate the eye, it will not run in full sun, although users report successful operation outdoors when shaded from the sun. Fluorescent rather than incandescent lighting insures the best system accuracy.

Tobii - The following relates to Tobii's latest offerings (i13 & i16... "the i-Series") with the new IS5 (now called the IS5TD) camera. It appears that there is a firmware update that may allow operation outside. I will paste a link to a June 17, 2020 video that does some informal testing outdoors with before and after the "Gibbon Gaze" firmware update.

Tobii i-Series with Gibbon Gaze Update

I hope you find something in the above that helps.

My best...

Jim

nona

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
NEW LONDON
I have had no luck outside even in shade. The filtered sun bounces off my glasses and it is frustrating. The best for me is indoor with all the shades drawn, or a nice cloudy day.