Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
We just received an Eyegaze Edge3 Speech assist device (SAD). Does anyone know of a tutorial for this thing, or better yet, is there anyone who can answer detailed questions about settings and operation?

We are becoming frustrated with the SAD as roadblocks seem to pop up constantly which require a call to the rep who delivered it. He is not always available as he travels constantly. We received very little instruction on the SAD beyond calibration and typing. Very frustrating.

For instance, when the rep left our house after dropping the device off, we found that the only sub-program (for lack of a better word), was Eyegaze main. When we went to Eyeworld and tried to activate the "buttons", they would only light up but not activate. Called the rep and he directed me to some menu to turn off eye blink and turn on eye dwell. That did the trick but now there is another problem. I was able to get to an internet browser from Eyeworld but I am not able to activate anything. I can control the position of the cursor but I can't get it to "click" on what the cursor is pointing to. I've looked at what settings menus I can find but no luck so far in figuring it out.

So, bottom line is we need help independent of the hard to reach, company rep. My PAL's speech is rapidly deteriorating and we need to learn this device pronto before she gets to the point where it's her only means of communication.

Is this the manual you have? (attached)

Attachments

• Eyegaze-Edge-Manual.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 350
I too find manuals frustrating, and you asked for a tutorial.
I googled and found there are some YouTube ones - I can't tell if they are any good as don't know the technology but that could be a good help.
There could also be a facebook group for people using these if you hunt around and finding others using it would be really great help.

There are several sequenced training videos on the manufacturer's site, a knowledgebase, FAQs etc. Usually, sales is not the function to go to for post-sales support, but rather, as in this case, the Web site. Of course, YouTube is always worth a look also.

If you get the package they claim to give tech support. If OP paid for that it seems like they aren’t getting what they paid for. My sister’s ALSA sent someone a couple of times to help with her eyegaze but they had been involved with the purchase and there were less choices then. Still it might be worth checking. Some ALSAs are better than others

Wish I could help. l’m too am trying to learn eyegaze but my access to the internet is thru my Mac. The keyboard works well because Apple has a website listing all the key commands. The rest has been been mainly trial and error. Glad I have a good hand to get me out of trouble. Eyegaze has no tutorial and I've found nothing online that is helpful. I understand the frustration. My rep promised me she would help! Have a list started. Hope you can find help. Good luck.

Would it be possible for the admins to set up a sub-forum (as opposed to just a thread) specifically for Speech Assist Devices? That would be a huge help as current users could share their knowledge of the ins, outs, and tricks to these things... "each on teach one" type of thing. Having a sub-forum would make it much easier to find and ask for specific help.

You should find a lot of these threads in the Tips and tricks sub forum area if that helps your searching.

My PALS is still learning the Dragon Program. He likes the program but says there is a learning curve; says he has a long way to go. Right now he is trying to learn the menus bars...He has spent 2 to 3 hours a day learning Dragon for the past 3 weeks. We are not looking forward to voice banking and learning to use the Eye Gaze but that is our plan for the future.

Mary I would suggest start voice banking now as you want his voice at its best. If he put aside just 15 or 20 minutes each day to do some recording, you will be surprised how much will be done in a month without tiring too much.

Igelb said: "Is this the manual you have? (attached)"

Yes, that manual came with the unit but it lacks useful operational detail outside of calibration. It needs to have sections detailing settings and menus and how to get to them, etc.

Understood. My next question would be if you looked at the "get started" videos on the Web site -- some looked pretty basic.

I often find that asking for what you want to know about as a question in google and then checking youtube will give you great video of people showing what they worked out. you could try that too

Understood. My next question would be if you looked at the "get started" videos on the Web site -- some looked pretty basic.

I've looked at the videos on the Eyegaze site and found only 1 that might have a small bit of information buried in it that I could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back