Eye tracking goes mass market

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sure would be nice. Maybe by then I will be able to purchase one.

You guys did notice that the company being featured here is Tobii, which had no moral qualms at all about charging disabled folks many thousands of dollars for each unit sold to help them develop this marvelous technology over the past ten or so years.

Last edited:
Well disabled folks were the only people they were selling to. How else could they raise revenue to stay in business and develop their technology? They are a company, not a charity.

It seems to me that the usefulness of the technology in the mass consumer sector was about the same a few years ago as it is today and Tobii could easily have begun a push into that sector then. Instead, they used the price-protected health care device market, with its high barriers to competitor entry, to finance their push into a mass consumer goods market.

How very capitalistic of our Swedish friends to take revenues from health care systems all over the world and apply it to improving technology for gamers. And if you think the price of the medical version of this technology -- the version that government health systems and insurance companies pay for -- is going down in price as a result of this, you're much less of a cynic than I've always thought you to be, John.

I think one of the pigs over there has finally pulled it's head out of the trough long enough to see that there is some competition on the TTS market (by way of "cheep" iProducts and what will be even cheaper android products to come), that they will have a massive impact on the gravy train they have been slurping at for the past 2 decades and now they might in the foreseeable future actually have to provide a product to the wider market at a reasonable price to stay solvent. It all takes time of course but at the end of the day the funding will eventually go with the cheapest option, certainly the consumer (those short on time and/or self funded) already are.

yes Tobii has been using eye gaze in their assistive technology devices.
My friend has one and is using it. WOW she has been increasing her ability to still be independent.
awesome

Very good and intersting thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back