05/2017
Country
US
State
NC
City
Charlotte
I wanted to share some exciting news...

My dad had been using a Head Mouse until he could no longer move his head, about two months ago.

There are plenty of expensive options for "eye tracking" - but I found a $150 device on Amazon called Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. It's designed for gaming, but also works with some beta functionality that was just released for Windows 10.

He's able to completely control the computer by moving his eyes and looking at whatever he wants to click on. It's really been a life saver.

I've seen lots of very expensive solutions out there, so I wanted to share this since it's fairly cheap and has worked a miracle for us. Even if he could still move his head, I think this would have been a better option than the Head Mouse.

Here's a link to get Windows 10 setup for eye tracking:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043921/windows-10-get-started-eye-control

I've been using the various betas for a couple months now.

The latest releases are buggy as they start out responding briskly, but on my Tobii I-15+ slows to a dead hang within 15 minutes.

There are still needed functions missing, most notably lack of drag-n-drop and word prediction in the typing keyboard (oddly enough, the text-to-speech keyboard DOES have word prediction!).

The good news is that it's intuitive and, frankly, easier to use than the Tobii eye-gaze (note: for Windows Control I use Gaze Selection and not Mouse Emulation)

Do you use any software for quick communication with this device ?

I use Talk for Me on my Tobii. I can no longer hold a cellphone.

Much richer in functionality than Balabolka and less complex than Tobii Communicator.

Both Talk for Me and Balabolka are free, and I believe Talk for Me is available for cellphone.

I have Talk for Me programmed with Alexa commands and my various "help!" commands.

Attached is a Screenshot of what my customized Talk for Me looks like.

Two other opinions that I've no personal experience with are
- Panopreter Basic
- Natural Reader

EDIT: the Beta Microsoft eye-gaze feature includes a text-to-speech keyboard . This is, or will be when it works, the fastest PC-based option available .

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).jpg
    Screenshot (11).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 398
hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, and really I'm new to having any kind of discussion about Als with people who "get it".
I have a tobii I-12. I did just have to swap mine out for the same model (both used) after about a year and a half because the eye tracker wasn't connecting, but up until then and since it works quite well with Windows 7. I tap a button (mouse) that selects what I highlight with my foot.But I was told by my Augmented Speech team that there is software that responds to blinking, rather than clicking the button. I could inquire further if anyone is interested.
Also, can someone please tell me how to start a thread?

Thank you, and looking forward to getting to know you all!

Last edited:
Flower, welcome to the forum and very glad to have you here, though not for the reason why.

To start a thread, go to the subforum you want to post in (Tips, Tricks, General Discussion, etc) and look to the top left of that page. You should see a blue button "New Thread", which will bring you to a new page with a field for your thread title and a text field for your post.

Attachments

• Screenshot (32)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (32)_LI.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot (31).jpg
    Screenshot (31).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 279
I just applied the latest Windows update today, and the updates to Microsoft's Eye Control Beta finally get it to the point I consider usable. It is great as a free alternative to Tobii's Gaze Selection for Windows and is better in some ways. However, I still find Tobii's Gaze Selection to be superior overall. It is more customizable and my custom keyboard layout blows the standard ones out of the water.
If you are missing word prediction or drag and drop you need to update to the current release.

Attachments

• Keyboard.jpg
    Keyboard.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 280
I too am on the newest release, and have used each of the Beta versions.

But the native Windows Eye Control refuses to come up.
Do you have to disable the Tobii eye-gaze ?

I too am on the newest release, and have used each of the Beta versions.

But the native Windows Eye Control refuses to come up.
Do you have to disable the Tobii eye-gaze ?

I do not disable anything. I can start out operating via Tobii Gaze Selection, then enable Windows Eye Control Beta, and then close Tobii Gaze Selection, all using only my eyes. On my device I can run them simultaneously, but they can at times overlap and interfere with each other.

Instruction here:
To turn on eye control, connect a supported eye tracking device to your PC and set it up. Then select Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Eye control (beta) and select Turn on eye control.

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro with the EyeMobile Plus bracket and running Windows 10. (I also have a Tobii I-12, which is a very different beast and cannot utilize Windows Eye Control Beta. I strongly prefer the Surface Pro for its screen quality and superiority as a computer.)

I attached what I see right after enabling Windows Eye Control Beta.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Actually the betas do support the I + series , as I've been running them all on my I-15+.

Just jacked up now for some odd reason...

Actually the betas do support the I + series , as I've been running them all on my I-15+.

Just jacked up now for some odd reason...

I stand corrected. I'm guessing your I-15 runs Windows 10, so the betas are available. My I-12 runs Windows 8, so no betas, and it has a different edition of Gaze Selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back