Diagnosis
9/2006
Country
uni
State
Washington
City
Elma
For new people out there, I use a book "Amyotrophic Lateral Scleros" by Dr. Mitsumoto for my questions. Someone else recommended the book. It can be ordered through Barnes and noble. But my question today is whether I should make the effort to see a Ophthalmologist. The muscles in my left eye causes pain and it seems to be getting worse when watching tv or reading. Has anyone have this problem and did a doctor make it better. Appreciate any answers.

Hi, Donnainwash ...

Have you been diagnosed with ALS? Any bulbar symptoms? (I'm just curious because I have had vision problems from the start. I've read that a small percentage of PALS do have some ocular issues.)

Anyway, I've had double vision while reading, and blurred eyesight for almost three years. It started at the same time as my speech problems. My eyesight continues to deteriorate.

However, in the last month or so, I have also developed "painful eyeballs" ! I don't know how else to describe it. It affects both eyes, and is a feeling of really uncomfortable pressure inside my eyes.

I am going to see my neuro next week and plan to explain this to him again and hope he pays attention to it and refers me to an opthalmologist.

My recommendation to you is, "YES! See an opthalmologist." Don't take chances with your eyesight.

Good luck.

reply to bethu

Thanks for your comments about eye problems. Have seen your comments before. I have difficulty getting around this site. It says you are on now. Yes have been diagnosed, but i do not have bulbar. My mother had bulbar, but mine condition is really differant. I noticed eye problem the first time I noticed problems with heel and walking. I am progressing slowly, so don't know exactly how this is going to turn out. Energy and walking and using arms are slowly getting worse. Not sure how this message is going to reach you, but I an access your name I think.

Hi, Donna ... You'll get the hang of this site pretty quickly, I think. I'm so sorry that you've been diagnosed with this crummy disease ... and your mom had it, too. That is tragic.

Thank heavens it's progressing slowly. I hope you get your eyes checked, and make sure everything's OK there. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back