Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
i noticed my left eye become little... er... slower, especially when doing some "hard" things. i see ok, have no glasses. my right arm and leg said goodbye first.
eyes examination was included when i was in process of diagnose by ophthalmologist, 3 years ago, and everything was ok..
does eye problem occur in als?

The muscles that control eye movement can weaken and ultimately fail in ALS, though it is not common. What "hard things" do you mean?

If you find that you are not blinking as much as you are used to in that eye, you will want to use gel drops (thicker than regular drops) and may at some point need to put a patch over and tape the eye shut to protect it, especially at night.

it is not about blinking, left-right is a problem. it is slower then right eye. by "hard" i mean things with effort - manipulating with rollator, turning head to see who is calling etc. still not clear why did they check my eyes in a process of diagnosing.

I am not sure what you mean. Is it not focusing or is not tracking ( pointing/ looking) where it should.

looking at your eyes is part of a routine neurologic exam. There is research that a special ophthalmology exam might show something but as of now there isn’t anything standard to diagnose ALS that is done. They are looking at other things when they do the eye testing in the neurologist’s office. Partly to make sure you don’t have it but probably also because it is just ingrained routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back