Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I am learning to use eye gaze. I practice (mostly typing on Grid's Text Talker, but also navigating computer/internet) about an hour per day. By the 45 min mark I feel significant eye strain. Is this something that lessens the more you use it, assuming eye muscles, being unaffected by als, can strengthen with this daily exercise? Or will this be an issue permanently?

Also, towards the end of my hour I notice a bit of heavy liddedness-- lid drooping, where I have to widen my eyes as much as I can when selecting otherwise the computer isnt getting it. This concerns me-- thoughts?

It is really tiring to learn - so I would really suggest, rather than reach that strained feeling, try doing 2 sessions a day of 30 mins each maximum. Even if you still feel ok, stop at that point and don't start increasing the time for a week or so and you are feeling more relaxed and your eyes are coping.

Thanks Tillie that actually sounds like a much smarter idea. (i dont know why it didnt occur to me!)

Take it easy and keep up with the good work !
( teacher s langage meaning go for it go and don’t overstrain yourself)

Good to know! I’m receiving an Eyegaze Edge next week, anticipating hopefully several months of being able to practice with it before being completely dependent on it. I guess it’s like any other normally-innervated muscle — build up gradually.

I don't know if you are doing the eye gaze's dwell feature for your " clicking "? My husband much preferred using a sensitive switch for the clicking for speed and reducing eye strain. Kate

It is why I always strongly recommend getting eye gaze or other adaptive devices including text to speech before they are needed.
That way you can practice without feeling a need to hurry up and learn and be dependent on it. You can take your time, learn at a reasonable pace and feel confident by the time it is totally needed.

I would also add that when windows computers first came out, solitaire was including with the operating system. The reason for this was that it taught users how to use the mouse through play. I taught 'computers for absolute beginners' for about 15 years to adults and the hardest thing was to get them to relax. I would constantly say, just stop and play solitaire (this was a game adults could relate to).
It was always amazing how well they could follow the screen, make decisions and click, double click or right click when playing a game.

So if there are any games that come with the eye gaze (I don't know if there are, if not can you play solitaire with it?), try doing something serious for 20 minutes, then have a little break and play a game for 15 minutes. If you enjoy the game, you are likely to find a half hour flies by in seemingly minutes and you feel less strain because you relaxed while playing.

Just a thought ☺

Kristina, do you wear glasses? I had to get my progressives adjusted to add a computer distance. . I'm on this thing for hours now and no eye strain but my neck is in excruciating pain by mid afternoon. If it's not one thing, it's another. Whack that mole!

I don't know if you are doing the eye gaze's dwell feature for your " clicking "? My husband much preferred using a sensitive switch for the clicking for speed and reducing eye strain. Kate
I use dwell but it's my preference. Ive tried what feels like a hundred switches and I just didn't like that method. I know it makes me a weirdo but dwell is easier for me.

I prefer dwell too

Kristina, do you wear glasses? I had to get my progressives adjusted to add a computer distance. . I'm on this thing for hours now and no eye strain but my neck is in excruciating pain by mid afternoon. If it's not one thing, it's another. Whack that mole!
No, I actually had lasik done when I was first diagnosed to make life easier-- I had extremely bad eye sight. It's been a huge blessing, only downside is dry eyes which being on eye gaze doesn't help, but I use drops regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back