Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Harrisonburg
Has anyone experienced eye discomfort, feeling like you have an eyelash stuck in eye or some particle? I am bulbar onset, diagnosed April 2008.

The discomfort is mainly in the evening, for maybe a month now, though today also in morning. I do some reading in books or on PC during the day, with many periods of relaxation and TV. Do not think I have been straining.

If this has been encountered, any suggestions for treatment?
Thanks,
Utility Man :smile:

Hi Utility Man- I have heard PALS complain of dry eyes- could this be what you are experiencing? Possibly you do have a small particle in there. If your eye muscles are getting weak it makes sense that your eyelids would be less effective keeping stuff out.

Maybe some more experienced PALS will have some tips. The only htink I can think of is an OTC eye wash or drops. Good luck! Cindy

Hey utility man!

I'm not diagnosed with anything but have a lot of symptoms that mirror ALS (which will not be my diagnosis). I recently experienced the very thing you mentioned; its like having an eyelash under your eyelid. I tried flushing the eye but to no avail. It went away after a few days and came back a few weeks later and stayed for a few more days. I also seemed to have been a little more light sensitive at those times.

Sorry you are having trouble.

Zaphoon

It sounds like to me that you're describing "dry eye" (which I have, so am quite familiar with!) It may be that you're not having complete eye closure, (even though supposedly these muscles are exempt from MND.) I have bulbar palsy, yet to be confirmed that it stems from MND, and my neurologist noticed that I have weakness in closing eyes.

If your eyes are not shutting tightly they would tend to dry more. If you were to try moisture drops, you might find that fixes the problem. Bion Tears are preservative free, and are quite good, (individual, re-sealable vials) however, there is also a gel form of dry eye drops that have a longer lasting effect. I have a prescription version, but there are some available over the counter. Just read the ingredients to make sure they don't include mineral oil or other versions of petroleum products.

good luck! :)

Thank you!

We have started OTC eye drops, and they do help.

Sounds like the consensus is "dry eye." The eye may not be closing totally without my awareness of that?

Thank you all for the suggestions!
UM

If you are using a BiPAP, there is possibility that your mask is not selaing at the top and allowing air to be forced under your eyelids. This can cause infection if not corrected, as we were told by our RT that set up the BiPAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back