Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MO
City
St Louis
I do some volunteer work with hospice patients. One of the patients used to be a Grand Master chess player and was diagnosed with ALS almost 2 years ago. He can no longer control his hands or speech but his brain works fine. It looks like the dynavox eyemax is only for communication and I was wondering if there is any reasonably priced device that would allow him to play chess on the computer via eye movement. I haven't been able to find anything definitive online.

Thanks.

john

If he can speak using the eye gaze he could call moves instead of actually moving the pieces. Knight to queen 4 example.

I don't know very much about them, so all I can do is offer you some other terms to do some Internet searches on. These are eye tracking cameras that you can add to an ordinary Windows PC. They still are pretty expensive...

Tobii PCEye
Alea IntelliGaze
EyeTech TM4
LC Eyegaze Edge

You might want to take a look at the following open source eye tracking software. For a few hundred dollars you can develop an eye tracking system. But I do not believe the software is very robust at this point.
ITU GazeGroup

I think there are other open-source eye tracking platforms out there as well, but again I do not believe they are very robust.

Hope this helps... Brian

If your patient has any control of his head movements, he might also be able to use what we call a "headmouse". A headmouse is also a camera-based system and it tracks a reflective dot placed on a body part that the patient can still move. For example, the tracking dot for my headmouse is placed on the bridge of my eyeglasses, between the two lenses and I move the mouse pointer around by moving my head an inch or two in the direction that I want the mouse to move. I use foot pedals to click the mouse buttons, but you can get free software that can do that if your patient can no longer press any type of button.

The headmouse system I use -- the SmartNav by NaturalPoint -- costs about $400, as opposed to the several thousand dollars that most eyegaze systems cost. You simply mount it on a computer like you would any other webcam. I use mine to do everything from surfing the Web to drawing pictures and editing video.

If you can give us a better idea of what physical abilities your patient still has, we can give you much more specific recommendations on the types of equipment and software that might work for him. You might also check and see if your state has a government agency that provides assistive technology to the disabled and see if you can get some local assistance through those kinds of means.

We're brand new to it, but the COMLINK with EYEGAZE seems to work. My wife learned to use it almost instantly. At this moment, she's used her eyes to turn on the TV and cable box, select a show and change the volume.

Atsugi- does she use it through her Tobii device? is this something the VA hooked you up with? Thanks!

Just got home from work and was very impressed with the immediate responses! Thank you!

I'll have to look into the suggestions a little more but he is not capable of any speech and has virtually no motor control except his eyes and being able to move his right foot. I'll research the other ideas and see if there might be a workable option and look into additional funding possibilities. Any new ideas are greatly appreciated.

john

We have a mod here that used a foot mouse, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back