Reason
Other
Country
AUS
State
nsw
City
aus
I've had muscle twitching for the past few years and severe anxiety for longer than I can remember, however a few weeks ago I came across this ALS disease and I've spent literally hours upon hours researching it and stressing about it. I've had quite constant twitching in my left calf for a couple of weeks now, as well as general twitching all over my body. my left arm has started to twitch a little more now as well.

recently I've had what I can only percieve as weakness in my left arm and leg; although I can still seemingly use both of them to my full ability (such as walking completely normally, walking up stairs normally, fine balance etc) I feel as if my left leg is "heavier" than it should be and whenever I try to stand on that leg and bend my knee, focusing the muscle tension into my quads, my leg becomes very shaky and this doesn't happen to the same effect with the right leg. my left arm seems to feel a little shaky too, and if I move it too much it feels as if it's getting worse.

I went to see a doctor who has referred me to get a blood test this week before I see a neurologist. they weren't very reassuring as my main complaint was the worry that I had ALS upon entering their office, a disease which they had not even heard of or knew anything about, and as such had no answers for me.

all I'm really looking for at this point is answers from someone who knows that they're talking about; do my current symptoms seem similar to that of limb onset ALS? and for those who have had limb-onset ALS, how did your symptoms of weakness start initially? was it very vague weakness in the form of shakyness when attempting to fully use the muscle, or were you unable to even use the muscle properly in the first place?

I've been stressing obsessively about this for weeks to the point where it's overtaken everything in my thoughts; I can't relax and watch movies or talk to people without it always being the main focus of my thoughts.

thanks for any sort of answers you could give me!

I'd just like to add that I'm 19 years old

Hey Johnson84 - before the forum members really get started on you, can I Just say to you that most people on this forum have been in your predicament before. Freaking out, googling crazily, freaking out, googling for more research ...just in case you find something that points you away from your symptoms being something as scary as ALS and then just finding more and more stories that sound exactly like your own! Ive been there, still am sometimes... I never suffered Health Anxiety never have...until I found ALS on a google search. Then all my abilities to rationalise my symptoms and thoughts went out the window. You are really young and it is very rare for someone young to get it. Not impossible but so rare it is hardly worth calculating the actual % chance of you getting something like ALS. I know it is really hard at the moment to remain calm and rational about your symptoms and fears. Sometimes the fear sets off the symptoms. But until you see a neurologist there is not much point in worrying. Don't start planning your funeral, maybe try going out with friends ....distraction is really great for a person worrying about this or anything for that matter. Take some magnesium supplements , great for stress and twitching. And if you still find yourself obsessing, worrying and generally not being able to function properly then maybe someone who won't judge you can help. ie. a counsellor or psychologist...if nothing more than to just help you think and talk it all out whilst you wait for your appointment. I am no medical person .... but I have been in your situation before with the crazy fear and worry about ALS. Deep breaths and try find something fun to do . Leave the googling alone for a bit or try a website like Health Boards, BFS, there are literally thousands of posts from people who have stumbled upon ALS and have gone through all these same fears too. Me included! Goodluck. :)

You wrote, ("All I'm really looking for at this point is answers from someone who knows that they're talking about.") That would be a neurologist. You also wrote, ("I've had muscle twitching for the past few years and severe anxiety for longer than I can remember, however a few weeks ago I came across this ALS disease and I've spent literally hours upon hours researching it and stressing about it.") All you've accomplished is to aggravate and elevate your anxiety and unknowingly make your symptoms seem worse.
See a neurologist, stay off the Internet and find patience... neuro appointments are generally months apart and it usually takes several. If he/she says it's your anxiety... be grateful.

Johnson84, I wrote you a nice long helpful reply but it was moderated for some reason. Not sure why? anyway, it was basically stating that so many people on here are like you....And I was there too not so long ago! Worried, frightened and stressing out....obsessively googling and trying to reassure themselves it is something else. In your case it probably is something else...stress! Hang in there and stay off google. Try go and have some fun. Take some magnesium supplements....great for stress and twitching. Your neurology appointment will give you some reassurance and hopefully some closure on your symptoms. At your age, it is extremely unlikely to be ALS. try and rationalise it all and realise it is very unlikely to be ALS. Goodluck. :) Sorry inadvance if I post twice, given I am not sure if my original reply will be allowed up...?

Twitching is not an indicator of ALS...

From The ALS Association

Ask the Doc: Q & A with Edward Kasarskis, MD, PhD

What Do Fasciculations or Muscle Twitching Mean?
Q: Many people who have muscle twitching worry that they have ALS since it’s often associated with the disease. If a person has muscle twitches a lot, or even daily, could it be the beginning of ALS?
A: Muscle twitching is very common, especially when people have had too much coffee, too much stress, or not enough sleep. Does this sound familiar?

Of course, the first thing many people do when they have a symptom is to run to the computer to see what Dr. Google has to say about it. I just did that and I got 1,390,000 results in 0.25 seconds. One of the first items that popped up was a Wikipedia definition leading to the term "fasciculations," (which means muscle twitching), suggesting the symptoms could be associated with ALS. And then of course it’s natural to panic. So if you were not under stress at the start before you went to the Internet, you certainly would be after consulting Dr. Google.

But take a breath. There are many things that can cause muscle twitching, including fatigue, anxiety, or even a pinched nerve in the spine. Muscle cramps, too, are very common, and can be caused by such things as over-exertion or even dehydration. Just watch any basketball game: it seems there’s always somebody on the floor dealing with a significant leg cramp.

Symptoms such as muscle twitching and muscle cramps don’t tell you much just by themselves; they are very common and non-specific. To diagnosis ALS, a physician needs to see signs of progressive muscle weakness.

What causes fasciculations? They originate at the very tips of the nerves, called axons, as they come close to being in contact with the muscle. The tips of the axons are thought to be overly sensitive to depolarizing (electrical firing), which is what triggers a muscle to contract. When a nerve fires, zillions of times a day upon request, an electrical impulse starts in the nerve, moves out toward the muscle, triggers the release of a chemical (acetylcholine) that "swims" across the gap between the nerve axon and the muscle, and binds to a receptor on the muscle causing it to fire. The complicated process itself takes a small fraction of a second. If any of this happens involuntarily, then the muscle fiber contracts without your permission and behold, a muscle twitch or fasciculation!

Some people with ALS wonder if the presence of muscle twitching means they have a bad or fast-moving version of the disease. In fact, having fasciculations doesn't correlate with how rapidly the disease progresses.

I would suggest most people with fasciculations or muscle cramps wait a few months although there’s no hard and fast rule -- before seeking a medical evaluation. Often the twitching or cramping will just stop on its own. If it doesn’t, it makes sense to get your problem evaluated.

An internist or a neurologist will ask you some questions, learn more about what you’ve been experiencing, and hold your limb in a relaxed position and study the twitching. He or she may then want you to have a muscle test (an EMG) to better understand what could be going on. Blood tests might be needed as well.

Often, the results will look normal but the doctor may suggest waiting a little longer to see if anything further develops over the next few months. Even in the 21st century, there is sometimes no instant test or procedure that can give you a clear answer about a problem. With fasciculations, this is certainly the case.

Waiting is a challenge for most people, but the odds are heavily in your favor that you don't have ALS. As they say, "common things are common," and ALS is not common, especially when compared to excessive caffeine use and stress.

Johnson84, I have sent a reply on "twitching" which is in moderation. It'll show up soon.
But no, your symptoms do not sound to me like ALS. ALS generally starts with clinical weakness. You appear to have none, maybe a little perceived weakness, but no clinical. Clinical weakness = I could not stand on heels or toes, could not balance on 1 leg, could not plantar flex my right ankle to lift my heel off the floor when seated. ALS weakness is not a vague weakness; it is an "I can't do this" weakness.

Anxiety will only make vague symptoms like twitching and perceived weakness worse, so go see a doctor and accept his diagnosis.

thanks for the replies guys - you have no idea how helpful this sort of stuff is.

one thing though, the article you've quoted talks about muscle twitches which occur daily as being "common twitches", however I experience my twitches several times a day, really several times per minute, sometimes maybe 20 times per minute depending on how anxious / focused I am on them. is this a reason for me to be more worried?

again, thanks for any sort of help you can offer!

.... upon entering their office, a disease which they had not even heard of or knew anything about, and as such had no answers for me.

A doctor who has never heard of ALS? Are you kidding?

apologies for another early bump but I'm still very curious about a few things and if anyone could provide some answers I'd be very appreciative:

I've had twitching focused in my calves for about 2 weeks now (or moreso my lower legs) and the twitches I'm getting are very small, constant (pretty much always happening, but not sure if this is since I'm always focused on it) twitches in mostly my left calf however some in my right too. I get a lot of larger and more noticible twitches all over my body here and there as well. I've read that smaller, more "worm wriggling around"-like feelings are considered ALS twitches. is this true? could BFS twitches be small, and constant in one leg (left) for periods of weeks to months?

again, I'm sorry to be a pain or an annoyance by constantly focusing on myself and my symptoms.

I don't know how to edit my post so I'll just add another;

also, when my calves aren't regularly twitching, I get this kind of buzzing or vibrating feeling in one or either of my legs. the leg one usually buzzes the worst. is this worrisome?

I really need to see a neurologist but the waiting game is so difficult. I'm having trouble not going on google every night when I have nothing else to do and just obsessing over every single symptom.

Hey again,
The twitching and buzzing sounds really similar to so many posts I read on the about bfs forum. Truly twitching is such an unusual feeling it is enough to worry someone even without having looked it up on the internet. However, if you google something you will find a scary answer...simple as that. You will also find support forums for people who twitch ie. About bfs and health boards. Some people get buzzing vibrating sensations in their legs without any other symptoms...just google that too and another 500 000 hits will come up from people, that I would be guessing don't have ALS or any other neurological disease.
I hope your appointment is soon so you can get some answers from an expert and maybe you will feel better about your symptoms. Do you work out a lot? Often twitching accompanies exercise too. Hang in there, you will have a few answers soon, and you will probably find it is all good news. :)

Twitching for several yrs w/o appreciable clinical weakness that increases when you focus on it? I wouldn't be too worried.
Drink more OJ, find some interests/work that prevent you from focusing on the phenomena, exercise to fatigue at times and consider that anti-anxiety meds if you are on any can work against you, in the neuromuscular sense.
I don't want to minimize your distress, but why spend so much energy worrying about the very remote when there is so much positive for you in the world, today, that other people in these forums are less able to enjoy?
Celebrate your now. It can't last. We all die.

I was specifically told by my doctor that he was a professional and not to believe everything I google on the internet. He said it would only cause me anxiety. He said if I have questions to keep a list so I can ask him directly. If he feels it necessary he will refer me for a second opinion if ever warranted. You don't need us at this point. You need a qualified dr. or possibly a pyschiatrist for anxiety symptoms. Please stay off the computer and enjoy your life while you can. We wish you well. Kim

I had my doctors appointment today with a GP. He did a full neurological exam and said everything was clean. No babinski, perfect reflexes, fine muscle tone, no weakness.

Can these things be recognized by a normal GP and not a neurologist? He did not recommend I see a neurologist however I feel that it may be necessary to put my mind at rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back